Blaze King Princess CAT crumbled after 2 seasons!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
My Neighbors CAT literately fell apart on him! :bug:

Went over to look at the new CAT BK sent him (free of charge) and the old CAT that had crumbled to pieces.

On further inspection I noticed the door needed to be tightened via the dollar bill trick. This could have caused the CAT failure?????

So he loosened the bolt just like in the video and went to turn the latch clockwise and.....snap. :grrr:

Damn thing snapped right off.....SOB. Metal was super soft!

I luckily have a full machine shop at my house 2 blocks away, so I went and fabricated a new latch from some 4140 on my 13x40 South Bend Lathe, grabbed some tools and went back over to remove the remainder of the threaded shank still in the stove body. With an Easy out extractor it made short work of the rest of the old broken latch.And the new latch spun easily into place after a quick clean up with a tap and Tap magic lubricant/cutting oil. Back in business! ;-)

Moral of my story is Blaze King has great customer service and Warranty when it comes to their CATs, however the latch was beyond substandard and I feel this is a part that Stove Owners should keep an extra/back up around for just this reason. Certainly a weak point, in the system. :eek:hh:

I'd pass this info back to BK. It's important for them to know when problems like this happen in the field.

Hiram Maxim said:
On further inspection I noticed the door needed to be tightened via the dollar bill trick. This could have caused the CAT failure?????
I'm no expert, but have read that the two enemies of combustors are flame impingement and thermal shock. Not sure which one causes the combustor to crumble. I don't think that a loose door gasket would cause flame impingement, unless the gap was so wide that he couldn't control the fire. That leaves thermal shock. Is he tossing wet wood on a reload and immediately engaging the combustor?

Good to have a neighbor like you Hiram. I have used easy outs, but I have always thought that the name of these things was sort of a cruel joke played on those playing at being machinists.

Hiram Maxim said:
however the latch was beyond substandard and I feel this is a part that Stove Owners should keep an extra/back up around for just this reason. Certainly a weak point, in the system. :eek:hh:

Sounds like great advice, let me know when I can pick my new and improved extra one up! :lol:

Good for you Hiram for helping out a neighbor. I also agree with BeGreen in that BK should be notified of the problem.

Is this a case of the old cat being ceramic and the new one steel?

The door latch is my only real complaint with the stove. IMO, poor design and even worse implementation. It is one of the worst places for this too as door adjustment is critical for these stoves to perform properly.

The cat combuster failed on my Keystone after the first burning season. I think in my case it was either a lemon cat or thermal shock. Wood was good and no color paper, chemicals, etc.

It just quit firing off and I was getting low stove top temps and smoke out the chimney. When I took it out for a look-see, it broke into four pieces and a bit of the honeycomb crumbled when I brushed it.

To their credit, Woodstock sent me a new cat - the new SS cat and I gather flame impengment and thermal shock are not such a problem with these - well see.

Good luck,
Bill

BeGreen said:
I'd pass this info back to BK. It's important for them to know when problems like this happen in the field.

Yes Sir, its getting sent back to them!

It was definitely not heat treated......and because of this, the threads could have been slightly over sized?

Woody Stover said:
Hiram Maxim said:
I'm no expert, but have read that the two enemies of combustors are flame impingement and thermal shock. Not sure which one causes the combustor to crumble. I don't think that a loose door gasket would cause flame impingement, unless the gap was so wide that he couldn't control the fire. That leaves thermal shock. Is he tossing wet wood on a reload and immediately engaging the combustor?

His wood is pretty darn good and I gave him just shy of 1 full cord his first year in the "Wood exchange/trade program"lol but it is possible.

They run it really hot because their heating close to 3000 sq ft with it. When we cleaned the chimney you could tell they were burning good hot fires.

But really don't know if there was wet wood involved ever but wouldn't rule it out.

Milt said:
Good to have a neighbor like you Hiram. I have used easy outs, but I have always thought that the name of these things was sort of a cruel joke played on those playing at being machinists.

No doubt Milt, I have had to have "easy outs" EDM'ed out of parts before......nothing easy. however this one went smooth.....for once! :)

rdust said:
Hiram Maxim said:
however the latch was beyond substandard and I feel this is a part that Stove Owners should keep an extra/back up around for just this reason. Certainly a weak point, in the system. :eek:hh:

Sounds like great advice, let me know when I can pick my new and improved extra one up! :lol:

I'm going to make some extras out of 304 stainless when the snow starts falling, I'll make you one. ;-)

Backwoods Savage said:
Good for you Hiram for helping out a neighbor. I also agree with BeGreen in that BK should be notified of the problem.

Is this a case of the old cat being ceramic and the new one steel?

Dennis,

They both look like ceramic?

When he called BK they said to call the dealer where he purchased the stove. The dealer is the actual shipper so it may be ("New, Old Stock) that is what I'm assuming.

We bought from the same place in the same month, same year. But mine was shipped in direct from BK because it was painted brown. My CAT is stainless.

SolarAndWood said:
The door latch is my only real complaint with the stove. IMO, poor design and even worse implementation. It is one of the worst places for this too as door adjustment is critical for these stoves to perform properly.

Yeah totally agree! Yes it is simple in design but not a ridgid design.

leeave96 said:
The cat combuster failed on my Keystone after the first burning season. I think in my case it was either a lemon cat or thermal shock. Wood was good and no color paper, chemicals, etc.

It just quit firing off and I was getting low stove top temps and smoke out the chimney. When I took it out for a look-see, it broke into four pieces and a bit of the honeycomb crumbled when I brushed it.

To their credit, Woodstock sent me a new cat - the new SS cat and I gather flame impengment and thermal shock are not such a problem with these - well see.

Good luck,
Bill

Yeah same deal!

Came with a 2 or 3 page questionnaire and they want all the remaining old CAT pieces send back. BK provided a self addressed paid return label.

Hiram Maxim said:
I'm going to make some extras out of 304 stainless when the snow starts falling, I'll make you one. ;-)

Thanks! That would be awesome!

Hiram, probably the reason your cat is okay yet is that you got all that wood drying out back.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hiram, probably the reason your cat is okay yet is that you got all that wood drying out back.

I bet Your right Dennis! :)

i never liked them new latches on the new bk's, things are supposed to get better, i dont know why they went to that cheap latch setup.

i prefer the old stlye like i got that has the large door that folds down, also acts like a ember shelf, works great. even rest my wood on it as im puttin it in.

What exactly is the issue with your?

I have had no trouble with mine, seems to work just fine.

SolarAndWood said:

My latch broke as well.. Loaded and burning.. Good thing I too have the means to make parts. Could have been a royal PITA if not.. The one they sent would break as well if ever used, it is bent at the threads and very weak. The one I made is much stronger and not a bent bolt.. Kinda a cheap way to do it but oh well!

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.