Blaze King Princess did something strange today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb51b

Feeling the Heat
Dec 24, 2007
Birmingham AL
It ran out of wood.. I was only gone for 11 hours, came back and it was down to coals... What gives? Just poking at you guys.. But honestly, I did screw around today and not load heavy enough now its 66 upstairs, going down to 28 here tonight I better hurry...

Jason

I just did that last night. We got home late and the stove was cold due to not having had stuffed it before I left. I only had time to make a small fire which didn't last the night. The baseboards woke me up this morning when they kicked on.

Which Princess do you have?

I thought you only had to load a Blaze King once a week? ;-)

I have only had my princess for one season, so I guess its the latest model? Might be why I'm not down to once a week loading yet. Are you supposed to put more than 2 pieces at a time, or is it just how you position them? :p

Jason

If you have a neighbor with an outdoor wood boiler just install an OAK and burn his smoke in the cat. Save a ton of work on wood.

cmonSTART said:
If you put it in E/W, you only have to load it with one! :cheese:

Really.. Wow.. Honestly, you do sound like a dealer! ;-P

BB-- I have a neighbor who smokes like a chimney on his back porch, you think that would work?

Jason

I'm glad I wasn't the only one with a short burn. Burn times really seem to vary depending on what goes on outside I guess huh?
We were gone from 11am-ish to 7pm last night and got home to a very small bed of coals, just enough to throw some pieces in and re-start the fire with the ash door open. My stove is not supposed to last past 9 hours anyway, but the mighty blaze king only 11 hours? :bug:

VCBurner said:
I'm glad I wasn't the only one with a short burn. Burn times really seem to vary depending on what goes on outside I guess huh?
We were gone from 11am-ish to 7pm last night and got home to a very small bed of coals, just enough to throw some pieces in and re-start the fire with the ash door open. My stove is not supposed to last past 9 hours anyway, but the mighty blaze king only 11 hours? :bug:

I know! this is rediculous.. I figured I wouldn't have to load it again until December seeing as I put 4 4x6x18 splits in it this morning (on top of the kindling fire)... I guess these new BK stoves just aren't what the old ones were.. Figures, I buy a jaguar and it turns out to be a pinto..

Jason

I feel your pain. I loaded about 2/3rds. this morning @ about 4am. Got home at 5:30pm or so and it was pretty much gone. that was only on the 2 setting which I thought would get me into December at least. Yeah....right.

I'd love to get my hands on one of those BK's. I had a pre EPA Surdiac that was thermostatically controlled and it was really easy to set it and forget it. It had an enormous heat exchanger in the back that was attached to the cast iron inner stove. It was almost like having twice the radiant surface. It didn't have long burns due to the tiny firebox and pre epa technology but I wish the company had made it into EPA times they probably would have toyed with cats and secondary burns and kept the thermostat also. That little stove could still burn a load of gravity fed coal for 24 hours though (it was a combination stove).

BrotherBart said:
If you have a neighbor with an outdoor wood boiler just install an OAK and burn his smoke in the cat. Save a ton of work on wood.
Now that's funny!

Now I'm 3 hours into a burn..loaded up big time.
No visible fire for 2.5 hours..stove top near gauge is 500..cat is 3/4...flue 225, 8 inches up.
Wonder what is diff..usually it's around 350-375.
Air is at one as always.
No blowers or fans are on..72 in the next room,28 outside..a little wind.

On a full load I have no trouble getting 14-16hrs on it. Sometimes I just put wood in the stove once a day. I normally keep the T Stat straight up and down though when it was colder out last week (around 5*) I had to kick it up closer to #1.

BrotherBart said:

That's actually a great idea. I should install a direct line to my neighbors chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.