Blaze King - questions and comment on their tech support

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richard_s

Jan 23, 2009
Seattle area
Comments on Blaze King's tech support
I'm researching inserts into my masonry fireplace and had narrowed down my list to the Regency I2400 and the Enviro Kodiak 1700, when I came across the Blaze King. I was very attracted to the Briarwood II model due it's large glass viewing area size (on average a full third larger than my top 2 contenders). As they had no dealers in the Seattle metro area, I called them earlier today with some questions. I'm very methodical in how I research home improvements and wanted to make sure the comparison was fair. First, the person who I spoke with was very uneducated regarding her own company's product. Not only couldn't she tell me basic facts, but when I asked her if they had plans to replace their retired Seattle dealer (per the receptionist who first answered the phone) as I didn't want to drive to the current nearest dealer in Tacoma, her response was that they couldn't have a dealer at every highway stop. When I politely reminded her that Seattle was, in fact, the largest metro area in all of Washington state, and not just some highway stop, she went totally silent for a moment. When she recovered she tried to go into a song & dance about how they vet their dealers. At this point, I was so fed up with her ignorance that I simply thanked her for her time & ended the phone call.

Questions about Blaze King inserts
1. Maintenance - can the top fire bricks and the secondary combustion tubes be easily removed for maintenance and replacement.
2. Efficiency - their btu output and sq. ft. heating area rating are so much lower than others manufacturers. I know they quote in averages and not peak. Can any Blaze King owners chime in as to their subjective experiences with this. I have a '67 tri-level about 2,300sf. The fireplace will be on the lower level, but the layout is fairly open & the heat should easily move up to the main floor via the open staircase.
3. In general, how would any current Blaze King owners rate their inserts and dealings with the company.

For any Blaze King reps
If you would like to redeem your company's reputation in my eyes, maybe you can answer one final question. Given that the Fed gov't is giving a $300 tax credit for all Biomass stoves whose efficiency equals or exceeds 75%, does the company have any plans to try to increase the efficiency of their Briarwood II insert to meet this standard. Both the Regency & Enviro currently meet/exceed it.

Thanks so much for any help. I've been reading through the forum from the oldest postings forward. I'm now to July 2008 and I've picked up a tremendous amount of tips and knowledge.

Try tech support from the Canadian side as I find it a night and day difference for questions. The receptionist is also not the person to talk to. :) The Briarwood is not there claim to fame for efficiency. Look at the Princess CAT insert. Thats the popular model. PM Fattyfat1,danielson and bfunk13 here on the forums can give you their thoughts and input on the insert.
Welcome to the Hearth.
N of 60

Thanks. But I would prefer to get a non-cat model. I know their efficiency ratings are lower than the cat models, but I want as few parts as possible to replace over the life of the insert.

Fyi though, I only spoke with the receptionist while she was finding a tech support person for me. Either way, they weren't too knowledgeable. As an aside, sometimes the tidbits of information gleaned from a receptionist/secretary while chatting her up is quite surprising, sometimes more than the company would like to be told :)

I'll give the Canadian # a call tomorrow & maybe I'll have better luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.