Blaze King Secondary Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TX-L

Burning Hunk
Sep 1, 2010
Tug Hill State Forest, NY
BK owners:

New owner, and I have been running my BK 24/7 since Thursday 09/30, here are my observations: After going from a 20 to 30 minute high burn setting (3) down to about medium (2.5, then 2 over a 15 minute period), the flames will slowly diminish, but a random wisp of flame from the fuel will ignite in the top of the firebox. The flame in the top of the box will "roll" for a period anywhere from a few seconds up to a minute, and then go out. This happens repeatedly for 5 to 10 minutes. Coming down from a high firing rate, the catalyst is bright red. During this random secondary burn time, when there isn't rolling flame in the top of the box, I can see dancing, rolling flame behind the flame guard, in front of the catalyst grid. I believe the incoming flue gas is being ignited by the heat of the catalyst before it actually enters the grid. Occasionally the flame behind the guard will spill out of the side enough to also ignite the entire top of the firebox. The same scenario plays out when turning the thermostat up in a 1/2 increment (example: from 1.5 to 2, or 2 to 2.5). During these secondary burnoffs, the stovetop gets hot, around 800 degrees according to the stovetop thermometer placed directly to the right of the factory supplied active/inactive probe.

How much secondary burn do you see in your stoves? I was wondering if other users see the same thing. Will this small flame behind the flame guard prematurely damage the catalyst?

I have had full 24 hour burn cycles over the weekend using hard maple, beech, and oak. I loaded the stove with 54 lbs of fuel (I weighed it), burned on high for 30 minutes, turned down in 1/2 increments every 10 minutes, until reaching a setting between 1.5 and 2. I never opened the door again for 24 hours, and had plenty of coals and even a bit of wood that was still intact. A great machine, I don't think I will use any fuel oil this winter AT ALL! (Unless I go to Quebec for a week in Feb.) I've had a few people stop and check it out, they are amazed when I tell them the last time I put wood in it, and that the stove top is 500F but there is no flame and no smoke coming out the chimney!

Don't have one and can't help with your question but, EVERY TIME I READ ONE OF THESE I WANT ONE MORE AND MORE!! There, I'm glad I got that off my chest :lol:

TX-L said:
How much secondary burn do you see in your stoves? I was wondering if other users see the same thing. Will this small flame behind the flame guard prematurely damage the catalyst?

Other than the turn down after the reload, I don't see much more than glow from the wood and the cat. I don't think I've ever seen burn going on behind the flame guard but may just have not noticed it. We're settling into 24 hr burn cycles as well but with junk, uglies and shorties. Save the good stuff for when you need it as that big firebox has no problem going 24 hours with a full load of what most consider junk.

Enjoy the new stove and welcome to the forum.

Solar,

I
burn lesser grade wood right now, but I don't have any "junk". It's all 2 year old seasoned oak & maple, with a little beech and ironwood randomly mixed in. Oh, and one apple tree resides in there somewhere, for flavor I guess. I have 22 face cords of strictly oak, maple, hickory, and ironwood that I cut this past April; this will be used by me from fall 2011- spring 2013. It's been split and stacked since May. I also have 10 face cords of all beech that is split, stacked, and covered right now; I've been harvesting that mostly over the summer.

I also cut black cherry, birch, soft maple, ash, and elm as available, but sell that and keep the maple, beech, oak for myself. Perhaps I am too picky regarding the type of wood I choose to burn... but would rather keep the higher BTU species and sell the lesser.

It may be back-puffing. Do you smell any smoke in the house when that happens? In conditions where outside temps are not very cold, the draft will not be as strong, which can more easily lead to back-puffing (a buildup of unburned gasses igniting suddenly) especially with a full load of wood and with a CAT stove.

Gridlock said:
It may be back-puffing. Do you smell any smoke in the house when that happens? In conditions where outside temps are not very cold, the draft will not be as strong, which can more easily lead to back-puffing (a buildup of unburned gasses igniting suddenly) especially with a full load of wood and with a CAT stove.

No, it's not back-puffing. There is no smoke smell whatsoever. It's not a draft issue; it's not an issue at all, really: It works great. Watching the rolling flame in the top of the box is interesting.

TX-L said:
I
burn lesser grade wood right now, but I don't have any "junk"

Now that is a good problem to have. If you load up with the fuel you describe, you should be able to do 48 hour burn cycles this time of year. You can get away with turning the stat all the way down during the day and then opening it back up in the evening and it will take right off.

Gridlock said:

I a have never seen or had backpuffing yet. I think thats a VC thing.
TX-L I am seeing or having the same results as you reguarding flame patterns in my Princess. Thanks for your input and welcome
to no fuss.
N of 60

Sounds like a typical cat stove burn. My Woodstock does the same thing. I wouldn't worry about the flames damaging the cat unless you have a steady flame being sucked up into the cat and that would only happen in a very high burn rate.

Sounds like it is normal to me. The flame just kinda rolls around the top of the stove for a few minutes as the stove adjusts to the new air setting.

That is how my old cat Grizzly used to burn the only difference was it would only burn for 12 hours. The stove in our first house we bought was the back puffer. We would be sitting on the couch nice and relaxed and PFOOF a cloud of smoke and ash would shoot out of the air intake. I truly hope that POS is in a scrap yard somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.