Blaze king Sirroco 20 help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhide371

Dec 13, 2013
NJ
First post!

After a nightmarish install where the guy out his foot through my ceiling. I am trying to learn my new stove! Having some luck but also have some questions. This BK 20 is a tough bastared to figure out so I came here for help! After some burns I was beginning to see black in my glass in the lower corners on the glass?! What gives! Wet wood?! I thought so got kiln dried same thing. Burnt on high for hours and no cleaning. Even after scrubbing my glass is black again any fellow BK guys with this stove?! It's still 85 in my house tho!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 378
How's the cat temp? I get black on my corners too unless I'm really burning hot, it's been under 15 degrees today so I have it burning hot and it cleaned right up. I found the stove easy to run but then again it's my first wood stove.

First post!

After a nightmarish install where the guy out his foot through my ceiling. I am trying to learn my new stove! Having some luck but also have some questions. This BK 20 is a tough bastared to figure out so I came here for help! After some burns I was beginning to see black in my glass in the lower corners on the glass?! What gives! Wet wood?! I thought so got kiln dried same thing. Burnt on high for hours and no cleaning. Even after scrubbing my glass is black again any fellow BK guys with this stove?! It's still 85 in my house tho!!!
Yeah you might have to get used to some black glass, some say they keep there's clean but the majority of bk burners experience some black glass especially in the corners, if I burn mine hot it clears up a good bit but still a little dark. The dealer should of given you a little heads up about the glass so as it's not a total surprise.

Congrats on the new stove

Up until today it's been in the 20's. Cats been red hot and temp is about 3/4 into active. As I said I ran this full blast! I'm ok with a little black I guess just making sure I'm not gumming her up! Got a 16 hr burn the other day!! Keep u guys posted as I ordered my cord blind and who knows. Need a moister meter. As for the dealer, they seem clueless on the stove as well as everything else :( . Chose this stove bc of low clearances and great reviews. Could be worse. She gets hot hot hot!

If your wood was wet I don't think you could be burning as well as you are. I know when I first started I had some unseasoned oak and it was a fight to get it burning and the cat active. Maybe try turning your tstat up a bit after your halfway through your burn and see if that cleans it up.

Weather guy. I actually did this lately and the thick thick deposits closest to the corner started to flake off and clear up however above them you can still see black. It's not that big a deal I guess.
by7ysusy.jpg

Looks like a Blaze King ;lol

is the guy going to fix your ceiling?

Mine does it too. Not as bad as yours tho. I take a straight edge razor to it once every other week.

Its part of the price we pay for getting 12 hour burns in a 2cuft stove.

Reactions: webby3650
He fixed it paint doesn't match. They aren't painters. Long story. Yea I agree the 12hr+ burns are still amazing me. It's like a $4800 experiment not including wood and the toys that follow. Just loaded up with the 3" cuts off my splits that were too long!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 228
Last edited by a moderator:
That's what BKs do and you won't be able to burn it off. We call it the dragon eyes because the very lowest corners will occasionally flake off and you get an eyeball effect.

The amount of crud and junk in the firebox and on the glass is not related to an amount of crud and junk gumming up your cat and flue. Look inside the stove at the cat chamber and even the top of the firebox and you'll notice lighter brown and less deposits. That cat is doing the burning, the fuel load area is making tons of nasty, thick, tarry smoke for it to eat. The cat feeds on this smoke and does a great job of it.

Oh and it is okay to have flakey, glossy, oozy, black, tar in the firebox on the walls. It won't blow up like a grenade, it will never burn off. Some may flake off and the bricks will burn clean but the metal in there will be pretty fould looking.

Oh and it is okay to have flakey, glossy, oozy, black, tar in the firebox on the walls. It won't blow up like a grenade, it will never burn off. Some may flake off and the bricks will burn clean but the metal in there will be pretty fould looking.
That good to know.

Looks good to me. Do you think you are having performance issues?

I don't think so. However tech support said that I should have double walled pipe all the way up? Including inside the house?

Well I ran double wall black stove pipe inside the house and then doublewall class A chimney pipe outside. But as long as you have the clearances you can prob get away with single wall.

Looks nice but did it really need the bends in the black pipe? Was the stove gonna stick out to much? I cant tell in the pic but it looks like u had room for a straight pipe. But im sure those angles dont cause a problem

Wanted it as close to the wall as possible. So that's why they bent it there. I mean I have never had a draft issue. BK guy said the double wall would have better temperatures?

What brand stove pipe did you use?

Did you use two 45 degree elbows?

What's the offset you got from that setup?

I'm going to be installing a stove next summer and my install is going to have a similar offset, just going the other way, toward the wall with a 6" section of pipe between the two elbows.

I'm going to be putting in a sirocco 30 too.

Your setup looks great!

BK stoves running at low burns are going to have low flue temps. Single wall pipe is going to have greater heat loss than double-wall connector. In order to keep flue temps higher and maintain good draft BK recommends a double wall connector. The offset is not the end of the world, we have one too, but in double wall.

I'm not worried about the draft of the flue but how close is the flue collar to the wall? Being single wall it needs to be quite far and since the stove can be quite close to the wall and you wanted it as close as possible I worry that your installer may have broken the rules on the pipe clearance.

Double wall is a better pipe. It's interior layer is stainless steel so it will last forever, the temperatures stay higher so draft is better, but most importantly it is made much better and joints fit tight with none of that snap lock crap creating out of round connection points. Cost is much higher though.

How close is the pipe to the wall? How much more would it stick out if ya just use straight pipe? If i ever change to a cat stove im sure ill be needing offset pipe too!

Wow looks so much closer! Shows ya how deceiving a pic can be!

Status
Not open for further replies.