Blaze king stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfkiller

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2008
Salcha alaska
I just baught a new blaze king classic with a 8" chimney flange. I have a bunc of 7" stove pipe. Do you all think it will be ok to neck it down to 7". It will cost me about 1000. to buy new pipe.

Well, up in Alaska it might........

In theory, pipe should not be dropped down in size from the size of the flue collar. However, the main thing with any chimney is for it to draft correctly and have the capacity to vent the number of BTU's put out by the stove. 7" pipe is rare these days, so most manufacturers would go with 6 or 8 just because of availability.

Draft is another issue - if the chimney is straight up - few or no bends, it will work much better.

What is the possible down side? If the chimney does not have enough pull, the stove may have smoke floating out the load door when you open it. However, this could happen with 8" pipe also if your chimney is not tall enough.

Personally I'd try the 7" and see how it goes before spending $1000.

BK is one of the last 8" stoves out there. Being a cat stove, the draft needs might be a little different than typical non-cats. There are stoves out here that are convertible between 6 and 8". The BK does not make more BTUs than the other similar sized units so I think the 8" pipe is only still there because it always has been and they just don't want to retool.

Bottom line is that I too would try the 7" before ripping it out. If the stove runs in the warm season then it will only draft better as temps drop in the winter.

Thanks guys. The 7" is not installed but I picked up about 22 feet of it from a guy for 200 bucks. It is new. After your advice I think I will go with the 7.

Btw My pipe will go straight up from the stove with no bends.

Make certain the insulated chimney you have includes all the proper fittings and supports - all made by the same company. You cannot mix and match or make up fittings. You could probably (safely) replace the flashing, storm collar and top cap with certain others.

WOLFKILLER YOU SHOULD BE FINE!
My house already had a six inch chimney so I purchased the BK princess with a six inch outlet.
I should of gambled the king 8" model but I thought it might be rejected on the city inspection.
Just remember to open your bypass a minute before opening the door to heat up the stack a bit.
There is no restriction through the stove when the bypass is opened and the stack runs pretty cool with the cat engaged. Have the door opened a crack for the last 30 seconds before opening fully. Your gonna love your stove. Congrats.
N of 60

Status
Not open for further replies.