Blaze King Stoves Models Inside Firebox Size Comparison

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKInsert

Oct 23, 2011
Long Island NY
I was at the BK dealer the other day to pick up my BK Princess insert, while I was waiting to be served I started to look around and I saw a few of the BK’s they had on display. They only had the Princess Insert, and the Princess Ultra and Parlor.

When I opened the doors and looked into the firebox I noticed that they looked different sizes, I was really surprised by that! I then borrowed a measuring tape and started measuring the inside of the fireboxes on all three models. From what I remember now (should have written it down) the Parlor had the biggest fire box size, if I remember correctly the width of the fire box was 22 or 23†wide, the Ultra came second, was ~ 20 or 21†wide, and the insert was the smallest at 19 to 20†wide.
Now I am not sure how this could be possible when they are all listed as 2.85cf! Unless the height and depth are larger on the Insert, which I do not think they are, this does not make any sense…

Can someone help me here? Is the Princess insert a smaller stove than the free standing ones? If they are how could they be rated same 20+ hour burn time and same cf volume size?

I made a fast comparison on some specifications taken from the BK site, see below,

Model Log Size Wood Capacity [lb] Width Depth Height Door Opening box size [cf] burn time
Princess 1010A, Insert 16 60 25 25 1/2 23 ? 2.85 20
Princess 1006, Classic/Parlor 16/20 60 27 29 29 1/4 16 3/8 x 9 2.85 20
Princess 1006, Ultra 16/20 60 27 29 34 3/4 16 3/8 x 9 2.85 20
King 17/23 90 30 30 34 1/4 17 3/4 x 10 4.32 40

I can not get the table to align, sorry...

interesting, i was interested in the princess because i have a 6" pipe and you can't (aren't supposed to) neck down the 8" King. however, the 16" log size is a show stopper for me. i like the burn time, but 16"....i'd have to recut most of my wood.

might go look at one as a nearby stove shop just became a dealer of blaze king.

cass

The 16" log size is another interesting point, if you measure the firebox it is actually more like 19" wide and 19" deep! Not sure why the list it as 16? Also, only the Insert is listed as 16, the free standing is listed as 19.

When you go to the dealer please take some measurments and report back.

tcassavaugh said:
interesting, i was interested in the princess because i have a 6" pipe and you can't (aren't supposed to) neck down the 8" King. however, the 16" log size is a show stopper for me. i like the burn time, but 16"....i'd have to recut most of my wood.

cass

t said:
interesting, i was interested in the princess because i have a 6" pipe and you can't (aren't supposed to) neck down the 8" King. however, the 16" log size is a show stopper for me. i like the burn time, but 16"....i'd have to re cut most of my wood.

cass

18" will work N/S, Do E/W for the 1st row to raise up the 6" deep box and your all set. 17" is a piece of cake N/S. Process your wood differently from then on. 16" is easier splitting, faster seasoning. ;-)

I think rdust had the same worries.

might be able to do it then, if the 17-18 works. thats what most of my wood is (bought it)...sorry guys. mabe i'll go look at them tomorrow.

thanks for the info on sizes.

cass

Some of my cut to 16" is more like 18" and it fits fine. I had a couple pieces this week that wouldn't fit my the wood box to bring in the house, the woodbox is 20" wide. Still fit in the stove. Just barely though.

north of 60 said:
I think rdust had the same worries.

I did until you measured your firebox for me!

On the first layer below the bricks I think 17 1/2 is about the max, 18 get hung up on the brick retainers in my stove. Once you have the first layer down you gain a couple inches above the bricks since the bricks are about an inch thick. The stove burns forever even with this so you'll be fine either way. The stove burns decent e/w so you can always burn the longer ones that way if need be.

ive fit some massie tree trunks in my blaze king i liek them they last along time, i just put small splits around them to keep it good and cooking.

BKInsert said:
I was at the BK dealer the other day

Was this on Long Island? If so where is a BK dealer on Long Island? That is awesome. From the raving reviews on this site you bought a fantastic insert. Good luck with it. Where are you on the Island? I'm in Sound Beach- North Shore in Suffolk by Port Jefferson.

DaFattKidd said:
BKInsert said:
I was at the BK dealer the other day

Was this on Long Island? If so where is a BK dealer on Long Island? That is awesome. From the raving reviews on this site you bought a fantastic insert. Good luck with it. Where are you on the Island? I'm in Sound Beach- North Shore in Suffolk by Port Jefferson.

Unfortunately no BK dealers on LI as far as I know, I had to drive to CT to pick it up from a dealer there, GREAT dealer, Fireplaces, Etc., really nice guys and and fair prices too. I live in East Northport, near Huntington. Yes, this stove was definitely worth the effort of driving the distance to get it.

greythorn3 said:
ive fit some massie tree trunks in my blaze king i liek them they last along time, i just put small splits around them to keep it good and cooking.
Yeah..well I bet mine is bigger then yours!

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.