Blaze King T-stat Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Where do you have the t-stat set at when you engage and how soon do you turn it down to a lower setting? Do you go down in segments like 3, 2, 1 or just go straight from 3 to 1?

I have it turned up as Im getting the heat up but once the cats engaged I set it to wherever I want it for that day, thats something you'll learn as you use it. I dont have numbers on mine just little gold dots that I cant see anyway so its more of a feel. The stove handles like a cadillac so once you use it a little while you'll know it like the back of your hand.

I usually have it 2.5-3, depending on how the load is taking off. After the cat temp starts to climb, I'll just turn it down to 2ish, where I usually burn. If I'm going for a really long burn, I'll wait until the load is really going, then cut it back a little at a time. Maybe over an hour or so, down to 1.25-1.5. I guess I never really just turned it down, so I'm not sure what would happen. Cutting back in stages just seems like the right thing to do.

Do you guys with the freestander's have numbers on your tstats? What are the numbers 1-3?

Do you guys with the freestander's have numbers on your tstats? What are the numbers 1-3?

Yes, the stoves have numbers. The insert has a bunch of dots, right?

Attachments

• 2012-09-14_11-58-06_86.jpg
    2012-09-14_11-58-06_86.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 213
Yes, the stoves have numbers. The insert has a bunch of dots, right?

yeah, theres 8 or 9 little dots but they're impossible to see, you'll see, after burning a while you'll get a real good feel for your stove and where you like to burn it and you'll be able to set it right where you want in a second. Just set it and forget it ==c

Thanks, I didn't know if or how it effects the t-stat if you shut it down too radically? Those numbers are handy, I got them on my Woodstock

If you cut the air back quickly on a seriously off gassing load of wood, I suppose you could get some huffing. Never experienced it, or even heard of it with a BK, though.

If you cut it down qucikly you'll get a light show of dancing flames until all the gases have burned off, its pretty cool actually :cool:

If you cut it down qucikly you'll get a light show of dancing flames until all the gases have burned off, its pretty cool actually :cool:
Indeed.
I have just never gone from wide open to closed in one twist before.

Others have posted just adding wood and never touching the t-stat. I personally always shut mine down in stages and it seems to keep the glass a little cleaner. In the shoulder season I shut it down faster in an effort to keep the temps down and just deal with the glass being dirty. A few things come in to play when I'm turning it down, the bigger the coal bed the faster I turn it down, if I don't have much of a coal bed I'll burn it a little hotter so it develops some coals before turning it down. I can typically be at my setting of choice in 15-20 minutes.

My standard operating procedure is to burn it on 3 with the bypass open, when the cat goes active I'll close the bypass and burn it for a 5-10 more minutes on 3, after that I'll ease it down to my setting in 5 minute increments. Shoulder season that's usually 1 when it's cold(teens or colder) 1.75-2 usually does the trick.

Filling it full every time seems to work best unfortunately filling if full every time can make for a "off" loading schedule.

I noticed when I adjusted down to around 1 everything went black inside the box, not even a red coal. I suppose this is where the t-stat does it's thing and gives it a little boost of air once in awhile to keep things going? With my Keystone I can shut it all the way down to 0 and still have a faint dull red in some coals.

I think you'll find on 1 the t-stat is just "closed" minus the "hole". BK just has the air control figured out.

I noticed when I adjusted down to around 1 everything went black inside the box, not even a red coal. I suppose this is where the t-stat does it's thing and gives it a little boost of air once in awhile to keep things going? With my Keystone I can shut it all the way down to 0 and still have a faint dull red in some coals.
'1' is likely closed.
I think this is where draft and dry fuel come into play. There is a hole past the flapper, maybe 3/8-1/2", that allows some primary air in. Apparently, this is enough to keep temps up for enough smoke to feed the cat.
I think there is too much focus on the t-stat being really sensitive. If there is any movement, it is minute. Since nobody really knows how it works, I'm betting it keeps the stove from getting too hot, if anything. It certainly doesn't open as the load burns down, to keep the temp up. At any rate, a dark box is standard at low burn. If there were any glowing coals, though, I couldn't see them anyway, as my glass is pretty nasty at this point.

Hmm, maybe the t-stat is there more for medium and high burns to keep the off gasing in check and extend or even out the burn?

It's not that we don't know how it works. The mechanism is extremely simple. What we don't know is what the stat accomplishes.

Reactions: jeff_t
Hmm, maybe the t-stat is there more for medium and high burns to keep the off gasing in check and extend or even out the burn?

Yep, I think you'll find it works to regulate the burn at the medium or high burn rates. Some BK users would like to see the T-stat open past it's selected setting as the fire burns down to keep the temps up as long as possible. I think there are times where I may want this to happen but overall I'm satisfied with how it works.

That's what I wanted to say.

I guess it is kinda the same thing. I held the stat mechanism in my hands and worked the operating rod back and forth. It is so freaking simple. It's just an air control butterfly but then they stuck that bimetallic coil in the operating shaft to make it automaticer.

I can see a long thread coming in January.

"I'm on 2.5"

"I'm on 1"

"Now I am on .5 where are you?"

;lol

100_1721.JPG
Anyone ever get a cat stall at low settings? My t-stat turns way past #1, anyone burn lower than 1?

Each system will have variables.
Chimney length, Weather, How air tight the house is, Altitude, how dry the wood is . . . . . etc.
Good tight stove pipe & chimney is a must for low settings.
You'll find the sweet spots for your system. There's a learning curve you have to go thru, but soon you'll have it down pat. :)

Anyone ever get a cat stall at low settings? My t-stat turns way past #1, anyone burn lower than 1?

I've never bothered going past the 12 o'clock position. I figure when the stove is stone cold and my t-stat closes around 1 there isn't much use going lower than that.

I've never had mine stall but I'm working with nearly a 30' chimney, others with shorter stacks have talked about stalling on "low".

I guess it is kinda the same thing. I held the stat mechanism in my hands and worked the operating rod back and forth. It is so freaking simple. It's just an air control butterfly but then they stuck that bimetallic coil in the operating shaft to make it automaticer.

Same design as the first Hearthstones and VC stoves.

Same design as the first Hearthstones and VC stoves.

I've always wondered why more manufactures don't use them since it seems like a pretty simple design. I don't think it's the "magic" in these stoves but I find it to be a nice addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.