Blaze King to Selkirk DSP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselhead

Minister of Fire
Feb 21, 2011
NE
I did a search but didnt see any results for users that run a King and use telescoping Selkirk DSP to hook up to the ceiling support kit. I just need to know if an adapter is needed to get the DSP and King to jive or it slips righ onto the flue collar.

thanks
DH

Probably bolts right up but I could be wrong...

well until I learn otherwise Im going to order the DSP and if need be I can always order the adapter since its first fire is at least 2 months away anyhow

well until I learn otherwise Im going to order the DSP and if need be I can always order the adapter since its first fire is at least 2 months away anyhow

I honestly didn't remember trying it without the adapter, so just for you, I just took my pipe apart. Yes, you need it.

If you're getting it from Menard's, I have a good story.

Last edited:
Last edited:
DSP8SA.

I paid around $25 three years ago. Try menards.com. Special order stuff ships free for me, and the prices are really good on Selkirk.

Be aware that the fit and finish on the DSP isn't exactly refined. I've used it three times, and with none of them did the outer part of the stove adapter fit flush with the stove top. Not a big deal with my Ultra's convection deck, but the other two look a bit janky. You might be able to trim the crimped inner part if needed. But, it works just fine, and the price is right.

Last edited:
Roger that Jeff and once again I thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me out getting my order right the first time. I will also have the convection deck so I will run the same adapter.

I looked on menards site, and unfortunately they don't sell many selkirk items in 8" diameter.

Last edited:
All you should need are the telescoping section, stove pipe adapter, and appliance adapter, unless you have a cathedral ceiling. If that's the case, you need another straight section of pipe, or two.

I have gotten everything I needed from Menard's. They don't stock 8" DSP, but it has been delivered to my door at no charge.

yeah im doing an entirely new chiminey system, my current stove uses 7" selkirk. the dsp will be going into a ceiling support box which will carry the galva-temp through a interior chase and then out through the roof. I tried looking up selkirk on their site but only had a few parts in 8", they mostly have the smaller diamaters when it comes to pipe.

If it were me I would try the stove with the existing 7" unless it was very short.

If it were me I would try the stove with the existing 7" unless it was very short.
The issue is my current z/c wood stove is in an enclosed interior chase that I have to rip apart to make an alcove for the king to sit in. The flue runs up inside of it. If the 7" causes a lazy draft I have to open it all back up to swap out to 8". From what I read the king is pretty picky on the flue you hook to it. I'd love to hear otherwise though!

First you would have to be sure that the ZC 7" is class A chimney pipe. Many are not. If it is class A 103HT, then it might depend on the chimney height.

Reactions: Dieselhead
First you would have to be sure that the ZC 7" is class A chimney pipe. Many are not. If it is class A 103HT, then it might depend on the chimney height.

What begreen said. I was assuming it was class A. If it is. How tall is it? If its over 16' I would try it rather then spend the money on new chimney only gaining 1 inch.

It is selkirk galva-temp (metalbestos) UL 103-HT all fuel. 4 years old. Height from ceiling support box to chiminey cap is approx 21'. It will have a 30 degree offset to clear the ridge board in the attic. I recall a guy running 6" in a post last year and he had an issue with the stove back puffing into the room at time of reload.

Last edited:
It is selkirk galva-temp (metalbestos) UL 103-HT all fuel. 4 years old. Height from ceiling support box to chiminey cap is approx 21'. It will have a 30 degree offset to clear the ridge board in the attic. I recall a guy running 6" in a post last year and he had an issue with the stove back puffing into the room at time of reload.

It back puffed a little during reloading but I do not believe his chimney was 20+ feet. I cant imagine 21' of chimney not working for your stove.

It back puffed a little during reloading but I do not believe his chimney was 20+ feet. I cant imagine 21' of chimney not working for your stove.
About 4' of the dsp from stovetop, into the ceiling support box in alcove, and then 12' of it is in an interior chase, then it goes up through the attic into a framed chimney box on the roof. I'll have to mull this over, I don't want to rip it apart 2x but at the same time $1700 on new pipe can be better spent elsewhere!

Sounds like it might work. Call BlazeKing on Monday and see what they think.

I recall a couple of threads where a Princess and I think a Chinook had overdraft problems with 7" flues.

I think I'd try it, too. That 8" pipe is expensive.

Jeff do you run 8" I imagine? Short or pretty decent height?

No draft problems with that run?

I'll get an occasional wisp if I start messing around with splits on a fresh load. Sometimes I pack it too tight and I have to open a path up to the top, especially if I didn't have a lot of coals left. I think some of it also has to do with the shape of the stove. The angled front doesn't help the situation.

About 99% of the time, I can have the door wide open and not get any smoke out at all. I can also run it with thermostat all the way closed, which is the real indicator of adequate draft with these stoves.

My sister's BKK is on 26' of 8" flue. She will get to much draw on really windy days, but it's just fine most of the time. I'm gonna put a key damper in when I brush the pipe for her in the next couple of weeks.

Good info, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.