Blaze King Ultra creosote deposits.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I just fired up my new Blaze King Ultra for the first time this year,it was only burned about a month or so last year. I've noticed some flaky creosote deposits in the corners and various other places in the stove. My question is will those burn off when I start burning a full load hot for a certain length of time? I burned about five cherry splits hot for about an hour in the rear of the stove,house got to 75 with an open door and the cat thermometer was buried all the way to the right,the stovetop thermometer was reading about 600 degrees does any of this make sense or sound right to those of you who own BKings,outside temp was a raw 40 degrees with high winds and rain. Thanks in advance.

It's a box with a smoldering cold fire inside, the cat element is burning that nasty cold smoke. This is how cat stoves run. Expect the firebox to become coated with nasty tarry goo but the flue to be pretty clean.

With that creosote, just make sure you dont have a stove fire. LOL!
Remember, the more you turn down a fresh load and dont burn it down some 1st the more smoke it will make and put your CAT into overtime for awhile. If you run your stove hot/high it will still read high as this is the path of your exhaust gases past the thermo.

Did you have control of the fire? Cat pegged makes me wonder if your door is adjusted properly.

Sounds about right. If I didnt' run the blowers on my stove the CAT temp would be pegged and stove top temp 800-900* Every few months I let the stove go cold and I clean the sides using a putty knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.