Blaze King Users - Do you use a stove top thermometer???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
For those of you that have Blaze Kings:

Do you use a stove top thermometer? I'm not asking about the catalyst thermometer.

If so, how do you utilize the information it gives you, considering the t'stat adjusts the air automatically...kind of set-it-and-forget-it.

I'm trying to determine if I should get one. I'm afraid the magnet will scratch the new paint job. So, if I don't need it, no need to take that chance. If I do need it, and learn how to utilize it's feedback properly, then I'll deal with the scratches.

I say go for it and while you are at it do a flue thermometer as well. Then share all the data with us. While I would like to free ride on you doing this, I find the cat thermometer and a peek through the glass tells me everything I need to know.

for the price they are cheap. i think they are useful just to see whats going on. i have one on the stack just before the 45's about 30 inches up and then one on the stove. its a nice piece of mind as well. this think amazes me even more that even when its 40, 50 degrees i can have the stove top up 500 600 degrees in 10 15 minutes.

ecocavalier02 said:
i have one on the stack just before the 45's about 30 inches up and then one on the stove.

When you are cruising mid cycle, what do the two of them say and what does the cat thermometer say? And is that with the blowers on or not?

mid cycle if im running it on lets say 1.5 like i have been cause its been warm it'll be between 175 and 200 (thats on double wall pipe as well and not a probe either) on the stack and stove top bout 400 give or take. cat will be at bout 12 oclock. and that would be after 8 or 9 hours. ill then open up and stir it up or just turn t stat up for a little and get the stack over 200 again stove top up to 500 or more depending on how much i turn it up and the cat will go go back up to 2 or 3 o clock.

even after 15 hours like this morning it was just above the active zone i turned it up to 3 for 20 min. opened her up stirred up the coals and burned on 3 and go cat to bout 1 2 oclock again for a little bit. and its still going now burning off the coals at about 250 275 stove top and 150 stack. and this was a load of ugles small mixed with some bigger pieces but not a stuffed full load. so this 18 hours later. pretty amazing

I don't have a BK but if I did I would replace the cat probe with a Condar cat probe that has numbers on it. Personally I don't like the active or non active zones, I rather see a real number. I would also get one for the stack, they are a good tool when your burning in the bypass mode during startups and reloads.

I have replaced the stock BK probe with the Condar cat probe that has the numbers on it. But, if I had the other thermometers...pipe and stove top, I'm not sure how to incorporate the feedback from these, considering the t'stat operation.

I understand having more data can be helpful, but it can also be overwhelming and confusing...especially if it is not necessary. So, how does the extra data effect how you operate the stove? To put it another way...as the stove top temperature, and/or stack temperature, changes, what operational changes do you make?

I completely see the importance of these devices with other stoves, but I'm struggling to find the need for them with the BK.

fdegree said:
I completely see the importance of these devices with other stoves, but I'm struggling to find the need for them with the BK.

There isn't unless maybe you are trying to diagnose a problem. The cat thermometer is going to tell you when to close the bypass and the tstat produces an extremely predictable burn cycle. Dial up how much heat you want and let it do its thing.

I have one but I don't ever pay attention to it. The only time I look at the Blaze King one is when I switch from bypass to cat after fire starting a fire. The rest of the time I let the stove do it's thing.

I just have them cause I like to know. Curious minds need ti know. Lol

Thanks for the confirmation...I feel better when I get input from those that know more than I. ;-)

SolarAndWood said:
fdegree said:

There isn't unless maybe you are trying to diagnose a problem. The cat thermometer is going to tell you when to close the bypass and the tstat produces an extremely predictable burn cycle. Dial up how much heat you want and let it do its thing.
you got the predictable thing right. That's what's so awesome bout this stove. 95 % of the time it's the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.