Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamer

Jul 15, 2008
Southern Vt
I have been considering a Blaze King as a basement install.
I live in Vermont and does anyone know where there is a dealer in New England?
I am interested in the Classic - no frills King Model
Any idea what they cost?
Thanks in advance

brand new here the blaze king king ultra cat stove is 2800$

There is a dealer locator on their home page blazeking.com. You will find the price at your local dealer to be much higher than what was quoted above. This is because of a bad deal with a distributor that effects us East of the Mississippi and south of the Canadian border. If you do a search here you will find it as it has been discussed in detail several times.

I have done the search. I too wanted to look into Blaze King, being they are really the only large (bigger than the fireview) cat stoves you can buy these days. Unfortunately, we are SOL here in VT. Closest one I believe is in southern NH.

I'd say maybe we should start a dealership here eh? ;-) Seems rediculous that we can't get a freakin legendary Blaze King in the frozen wilds of northern vermont, But Upstate NEW JERSEY has like 8 dealerships!! What gives..... Must be the bad distribution crap that everyone talks about.

Oh, I just noticed you're in SOUTHERN VT... well, Mr.Fireplace in Laconia NH is the dealership in NH, (i just checked the site again) and it may be close enough to be practical for you. If it is, and you go look at them, please share the price info you get. I would love to know what kind of range we are looking at, might make it worth a trip to NH for me.

OH and you will get out of paying sales tax on the thing if you buy in NH too!! ahem.. I mean... make darn sure you report that kind of purchase on your VT tax return at the end of the year so you can pay up your sales tax.........

vtburner said:
I have done the search. I too wanted to look into Blaze King, being they are really the only large (bigger than the fireview) cat stoves you can buy these days.

Hey vtburner, the Blaze King is my top choice, but there are some other large cat stoves around. Two that I can think of are the Buck 91, and the Country Flame BBF. I think there may be one or two more, but I can't seem to come up with them right now. The Sierra 8000 is close with somewhere around a 3.6 cu. ft. firebox (Sierra doesn't list firebox size, another website had it listed at that, don't know how accurate that is.).

daleeper said:
vtburner said:
I have done the search. I too wanted to look into Blaze King, being they are really the only large (bigger than the fireview) cat stoves you can buy these days.

Hey vtburner, the Blaze King is my top choice, but there are some other large cat stoves around. Two that I can think of are the Buck 91, and the Country Flame BBF. I think there may be one or two more, but I can't seem to come up with them right now. The Sierra 8000 is close with somewhere around a 3.6 cu. ft. firebox (Sierra doesn't list firebox size, another website had it listed at that, don't know how accurate that is.).

Thanks for the info. I base most of my knowledge of newer stoves almost solely on the chatter around this site/forum. Haven't seen much about those 2 stoves yet but will be sure to look into them. Im sure there's info lurking around here somewhere.... yaay new stoves to research!

SolarAndWood said:
There is a dealer locator on their home page blazeking.com. You will find the price at your local dealer to be much higher than what was quoted above. This is because of a bad deal with a distributor that effects us East of the Mississippi and south of the Canadian border. If you do a search here you will find it as it has been discussed in detail several times.

A dealer named AutoRain used to sell by mail-order for much cheaper. But they got ratted out to
Blaze King, from this forum if I understand correctly.

Rumor has it that there are other west-of-Mississippi dealers (meaning they don't have to deal with this
distributor markup business) who will ship to you. I don't know any names though. If you find one,
be discreet. We have a rat ...

Are you married to the blaze king idea? Because (and forgive me for bringing up this topic again-) but there are some very nice soapstone stoves which are made in your area.
Just weigh your options.

rsgBJJfighter said:
Are you married to the blaze king idea? Because (and forgive me for bringing up this topic again-) but there are some very nice soapstone stoves which are made in your area.
Just weigh your options.

are soapstones really used to heat? i thought they were more of a decoritive stove?

rsgBJJfighter said:
Just weigh your options.
Until WS releases a larger stove, their stoves are truly tiny compared to the BKK the OP is interested in. The Fireview (their largest cat stove) is about half the size of the BKK.

greythorn3 said:
rsgBJJfighter said:
Just weigh your options.

are soapstones really used to heat? i thought they were more of a decoritive stove?
Take a look at the HS Equinox, it's far from just decoration!

Wet1 said:
greythorn3 said:
rsgBJJfighter said:
Just weigh your options.

Take a look at the HS Equinox, it's far from just decoration!

I saw the HS Equinox last week and its a big beautiful stove............Impressive piece of rock! :lol:

I don't personally own a soap stone stove, but I have been in a home with one. It wasn't a decoration, but was used to heat the first floor of the home. I have not been in a home with a BK, so I cannot compare the two.
Anyhow- just thought it might be a thought to consider.

i will have to check them out the HS Equinox, pretty and heat .. might be a new trend.

greythorn3 said:
rsgBJJfighter said:
Just weigh your options.

GOLD!

Cat stoves of today fall into three classes,

1) Tiny soapstone ones, the largest rated to heat a double wide trailer at 1600 SF max.
2) Overly difficult to operate cast iron ones from a company of poor reputation.
3) Ugly plate steel stoves with huge 8" flue requirements. It's not the plate steel that's ugly, it is the non-conventional shape. Right out of the 70s.

BK is the only manufacturer that has a medium and large cat stove to heat modern sized homes. They also have a thermostat which is unique.

Yes, soapstones heat. Look darn nice doing it too.

Yes, that wasn't clear. The big ones require 8" but the BK has a medium sized stove with a 6" flue allowance. The small BK is much bigger than the biggest soapstone stove. The BK was described as looking like a big mac box, surely more expensive to build than a cube but they've always been that ugly.

Highbeam said:
Cat stoves of today fall into three classes,

1) Tiny soapstone ones, the largest rated to heat a double wide trailer at 1600 SF max.
2) Overly difficult to operate cast iron ones from a company of poor reputation called Vermont Castings, which are complete garbage.
3) Ugly plate steel stoves with huge 8" flue requirements. It's not the plate steel that's ugly, it is the non-conventional shape. Right out of the 70s.

BK is the only manufacturer that has a medium and large cat stove to heat modern sized homes. They also have a thermostat which is unique.

Yes, soapstones heat. Look darn nice doing it too.

ficst

Highbeam said:
2) Overly difficult to operate cast iron ones from a company of poor reputation.

Its amazing how quickly you get over the ugliness associated with door #3 when you are a previous victim of door #2.

SolarAndWood said:
Highbeam said:

Its amazing how quickly you get over the ugliness associated with door #3 when you are a previous victim of door #2.

I did not find my old Dutchwest Federal (cat) at all difficult to operate.
And it looked a little better than the new BK Princess, IMHO. But the
improved perforamnce more than makes up for it.

The problem with Blaze King's dealer locator is it is not up to date.
If you look up a dealer and contact them I have been told they do not carry them anymore.
very frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.