BlazeKing in a mobile home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sequoia

Apr 10, 2015
Iowa
I'll be installing a Princess Ultra in my 14' by 56' ( sunken living room ) mobile home this fall. It's a 1978 model with very little insolation left. How well can I expect it to keep my home warm? I plan to put it where the living room ends and the kitchen begins. That's central to half the length of the trailer.

By the way, I'm totally addicted to this website!

So a single wide trailer. Well, assuming the windows and doors are shut and seal reasonably well you will certainly be able to heat it well with a centrally located stove rated to heat double that SF. Your lack of insulation is tough since we don't know what that really means. If you an keep the wind from blowing through your trailer then you have a great chance for success.

I did reinsolate two thirds of the floor. From the kitchen to the back bedroom. Thanks for the reassurance.

It's a 1978 model with very little insolation left

Can we assume that the walls an ceiling still have some insulation in them? Are you on a mountain top in the wind? Iowa can be cold but if most of the floor is insulated and the walls and ceiling have at least some insulation, plus the windows and doors seal reasonably well then I would state the princess is enough.

It is tough to meet minimum chimney height requirements with a mobile though. Have you planned that part out yet?

Placed on a raise pad ( to run fresh air tube under ) I would estimate stove pipe to be about 6ft. to ceiling. How high would the chimney need to be? Is minimum of 15ft of total pipe the target?

And yes there is some insolation left. I hope the princess will not be overkill.

Placed on a raise pad ( to run fresh air tube under ) I would estimate stove pipe to be about 6ft. to ceiling. How high would the chimney need to be? Is minimum of 15ft of total pipe the target?

So let's think about this. You must have a vaulted ceiling to get 6 feet in the stove room, probably a typical super thin ceiling too. So you will have 9 feet of chimney sticking out above the roof. That's really tall. You'll need at least one set of braces to keep it from blowing over. On other brand stoves you can cheat on the minimum height but with the BK you need at least the minimum.

The minimum total flue for the Princess is 12 ft. If you have 15ft straight up it should work well. Note that the stove needs to be bolted down in a mobile + outside air kit.

Reactions: Ashful
The minimum total flue for the Princess is 12 ft. If you have 15ft straight up it should work well. Note that the stove needs to be bolted down in a mobile + outside air kit.
And GROUNDED!

Bolted down, just like the refrigerator and the safe and the etc.. :rolleyes:;lol

Thank you for all your guidance. I'll post more as it progresses.

The BK will work out just fine for you. These stoves can be snuffed down to near dormant conditions. To the point where the wood is no longer burning but cooking inside the stove.

If you want a light show and clean glass the Princess will chase you out of the trailer thou.

My mate runs a princess with a short stack like that, no worries if you maintain.

Thanks again everyone. I'm sure my local dealer will do the install. They'll be sure it's ideal.

If my memory serves me correct I think a member here by the name of Tarzan has a BK princess in his mobile home, you may want to PM him and ask how his setup works. Also not a bk stove but another member, Rebelduckman has a England nc13 installed in his mobile home to.

Do all new BK's come with a steel cat? Or do you have to request one on purchase?

By the way, you guys are awesome! So ready to help a guy out

And GROUNDED!

And double wall pipe right? I thought that was a mobile home requirement. Also, measure your doorway. I work with the fire department and they tell me some pretty awful stories about how they've had to extract people from mobile homes and the doorways are not the standard width. The BK is a pretty square stove with a welded on pedestal so there is no short dimension.

Status
Not open for further replies.