BlazeKing Princess Prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derbydude

Feb 17, 2014
Stamford CT
Can people post their prices for BlazeKing Princess insert?
I was quoted at 3200 + 1100 (liner and install) + taxes
Is that reasonable?
I am in no rush - is it substantially cheaper if I wait till spring of next year?

I purchased a brand new BK Princess in April and I picked it up from the dealer myself with my truck. I got the black door and black extra large surround (extra $80 compared to standard). With an 8% sales tax my total came to $3,286.50 to the penny. I negotiated down from my original price quote of $3,700. Part of this cost was about $100 shipping from FedEx that the dealer passed on to me.

My first price quote was from a dealer located near me in the Philadelphia area it it was approximately $4200 for stove and $2000 for the install. I decided to drive approximately 200 miles to pick my stove up for $1,000 cheaper from a smaller mom and pop operation in the middle of nowhere.

That liner and install price of 1,100 seems reasonable to me. Overall, $4,400 all-in price does not seem bad for something that can potentially be a whole house heater with long, efficient burn times and the ability to heat during power outage. With oil heat (like me), it could pay for itself in one year if you burn exclusively or two years if you supplement.

sounds reasonable, the unit price is a bit higher than ours on the west coast, but i believe its that way for everyone on the east coast..

1100 liner and install is a great price, especially if they are insulating the pipe and putting in a block off plate.

BK didn't have a price increase this year, so i bet it'll be more expensive next year.

Go for it, great stove!

sounds reasonable, the unit price is a bit higher than ours on the west coast, but i believe its that way for everyone on the east coast..

The east coast (actually east of the miss) penalty was supposed to have been eliminated. Guess not eh?

You'll love the BK. A few hundred bucks spread out over the life of the stove is pocket change.

You'll love your BK!!!

Ultra all black.

3 large out the door including tax, Fan kit and 3" OAK.

Thats Canadian $$$$

The east coast (actually east of the miss) penalty was supposed to have been eliminated. Guess not eh?

You'll love the BK. A few hundred bucks spread out over the life of the stove is pocket change.

dont quote me, lol, but my price list says western us on the cover, and my retail is a little less than the op quoted..

Please keep in mind the cost to ship east is much, much greater when shipping from the west coast. Shipping costs can add to overall cost...but we are looking at warehouses. Most folks understand the $$ additional cost.

Previously the difference was much greater due to distribution method.

Thank you
Chris

Yeah the answer would be an East Coast distributor that you could hit with a rail car load at a time. Any other way is just too pricey.

Spring of 2014, BK was running a factory special, buy 5 or more and shipping (CONUS) was free.

Please keep in mind the cost to ship east is much, much greater when shipping from the west coast. Shipping costs can add to overall cost...but we are looking at warehouses. Most folks understand the $$ additional cost.

Previously the difference was much greater due to distribution method.

Thank you
Chris
Hmm- with manufacturers going all way to china to cut costs, suggested shipping cost was negligible. So I suppose truck freight is several times more expensive than ship even with shorter distance.

Either we all could pay the same price for the stoves or folks closer to the factory would get a lower price to reflect less shipping costs. In the former, the folks close to the factory would have to pay more so that the far away guys would pay less. The latter is more fair imo.

I just noticed BK Princess only puts out 40000BTUs - most every other wood stove, eg. Regency - puts out 70000BTUs -
is that sufficient to heat a 2000sft home?

different testing methods/in house numbers
yes the princess can heat 2000 sqft
Different methods? Im not so convinced.
I dont see why BK would choose methods that gave their units lower numbers.
Does anyone heat 2000sft with a BK insert? I mean a ranch 2000, not a multi-story 2000sft.
Seems to me in the very least, I'd have to be burning full-blast constantly.

Different methods? Im not so convinced.
I dont see why BK would choose methods that gave their units lower numbers.
Does anyone heat 2000sft with a BK insert? I mean a ranch 2000, not a multi-story 2000sft.
Seems to me in the very least, I'd have to be burning full-blast constantly.

If you take the time to read Blaze King's brochures, their BTU numbers are explained rather well. They are actually realistic numbers, not the highest peak of a burn cycle.

Manufacturer BTU ratings are pretty meaningless. BK and Woodstock are about the only honest ones.

Another thing to remember is that the BK will make 40k over a long period of time where the non-cats will peak out at a higher number but drop off fast and early. It's the area under the curve that keeps your house warm not the max peak output.

There are some regional definitions that might screw you up. Is your house 2000 SF all on one level and you are trying to heat it with an insert on that one level?

I heat a 1700 SF single story home with my princess well into the single digits no problem. House built in 1963 with R-5 wall insulation.

Reactions: R'Lee
If you take the time to read Blaze King's brochures, their BTU numbers are explained rather well. They are actually realistic numbers, not the highest peak of a burn cycle.

Manufacturer BTU ratings are pretty meaningless. BK and Woodstock are about the only honest ones.

I did checkup the EPA numbers - here they are
Princess Insert Model PI 1010A 7,200-29,500 BTU Catalytic

Regency F2400M, I2400M, S2400, HI300, CC75,
CS2400 Medium Wood Stove & Insert 12000- 36800BTU Non Catalytic

7000-29000 - not sure what to make of that.
Far as I can tell, testing BTUs is secondary - they measure the emissions primarily.
If 29,500 is max - that means I'd have to be running at max constantly to heat 2000sft correct?
Many online calculators actually estimate that you need approx 80,000BTU to keep a 2000sft place warm in single digits.

Another thing to remember is that the BK will make 40k over a long period of time where the non-cats will peak out at a higher number but drop off fast and early. It's the area under the curve that keeps your house warm not the max peak output.

There are some regional definitions that might screw you up. Is your house 2000 SF all on one level and you are trying to heat it with an insert on that one level?

I heat a 1700 SF single story home with my princess well into the single digits no problem. House built in 1963 with R-5 wall insulation.

Yes its 2000sf all one level and the fireplace is in an awkward location at one end of the house -
the heat has to basically go around and all the way through a narrow passageway to reach the rooms.
Thats why I want a powerful unit - and ofcourse last at least 10-12hrs on each load.
Mine's a 1962 ranch - walls have blown-in insulation.

As it has been stated on Hearth.com many times, there are only two variables on the EPA web site that matter (count). Those two are "Thermal Efficiency" and "Gr/Hr." Keep in mind that if you have a 60,000 BTU heater that is perhaps 65% efficient (if there is no thermal efficiency listed think why) then only 39,000 of those Btu's get into your room. Then again a 44,000 Btu heater that has a THERMAL EFFICIENCY of 80%+, you get more heater into your home by burning less wood and costly you less time and money.

We paid (GULP!) about $5900 for the Princess Parlor stove plus we bought the hearth pad, blower, side shields, all pipe, cap and install. We are on the East coast and shipping did take a bit. Permits are at the TWP waiting for approval and the stove and everything is in. The waiting is the hardest pat, that and getting wood together.

As it has been stated on Hearth.com many times, there are only two variables on the EPA web site that matter (count). Those two are "Thermal Efficiency" and "Gr/Hr." Keep in mind that if you have a 60,000 BTU heater that is perhaps 65% efficient (if there is no thermal efficiency listed think why) then only 39,000 of those Btu's get into your room. Then again a 44,000 Btu heater that has a THERMAL EFFICIENCY of 80%+, you get more heater into your home by burning less wood and costly you less time and money.

So the rated btu output of these stoves does not consider efficiency? It's just the amount of wood consumed per hour?

I STILL can't get behind my home to cut; inaccessible since last fall; still too wet. Cutting in the hedgerows near the roads.

Last edited:
Sorry. .
Phone problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.