Blazers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been burning pellets now, going on 8 years. My previous favorite pellets have been 1) Hamer's, 2) Somerset's. That has all changed over this last week, since I got the chance to try/buy/burn the Blazer's. They now have become my favorite pellet and I'm glad to have 2 tons setting in my garage. They really burn excellent with hardly any ash and are HOT. Here in PA. you don't often find softies, but now that I have got some, I prefer to have nothing but them. I wish we had a bigger selection of softies to buy here in our area, but we don't.

Been burning pellets now, going on 8 years. My previous favorite pellets have been 1) Hamer's, 2) Somerset's. That has all changed over this last week, since I got the chance to try/buy/burn the Blazer's. They now have become my favorite pellet and I'm glad to have 2 tons setting in my garage. They really burn excellent with hardly any ash and are HOT. Here in PA. you don't often find softies, but now that I have got some, I prefer to have nothing but them. I wish we had a bigger selection of softies to buy here in our area, but we don't.
I just picked up 6 bags of Blazers at our HD to try..28.00 with Military discount.
I have 5 tons of pellets in my basement so no more room for big load.
No info on the bag concerning ash, type of wood etc..
just that thet are from Oregon...
are the blazers a softwood?
I just looked them up and said Douglas fur blend...

I just picked up 6 bags of Blazers at our HD to try..28.00 with Military discount.
100 percent Doug fir.. Burn HOT !! Very very little ash !!!

Well, they lived up to the hype...
Best I have burned so far..
Well, there you go Tony. Now you know what the "magic pellet" excitement is all about. Around here, those Blazers go for $350/ton at the pellet house. Sometimes you get *really* lucky and find them at HD for $250/ton. Stock up while you can.

The funny thing is that on the Blazer website, they have specs, and as far as I can tell, they meet the Super Premium PFI fines and ash standard, even though they are classified as Premium.

PFI did away with the Super Premium category.
Did they replace it with Ultra Premium?

upload_2014-12-13_23-2-40.png

Aren't Blazers from out west? I bought a 1/2 town of them a couple years ago from Robins in Central Mass, they were a fantastic pellet.....but they were extremely expensive.

My question is, how in the heck (if these are the same pellet) is HD selling them at the price? The best I could do last week was $249 for super ash crap Chow!

Don't think there's a chance in Hell they're coming to my area.......
Boo: I have been asking that for awhile. The truckers, expense by the mile from Oregon, is close to that.
I don't see many questions likes yours answered, with any math reason.
Rand McNally miles are about 2900 miles from Oregon to east coast.
Good Luck with your question

Boo: I have been asking that for awhile. The truckers, expense by the mile from Oregon, is close to that.
I don't see many questions likes yours answered, with any math reason.
Rand McNally miles are about 2900 miles from Oregon to east coast.
Good Luck with your question
I just assumed they were shipped by train.

My HD just got 23 tons in and I bought 10 bags, they put out very little ash compared to other boxed brands, as far as heat output i would mark them as average so far. I would buy tonnage for sure.

My HD just got 23 tons in and I bought 10 bags, they put out very little ash compared to other boxed brands, as far as heat output i would mark them as average so far. I would buy tonnage for sure.
hardly any ash But,
I thought they we're hot as can be..
9200 BTU i think the claim is..
bought as HD also.

Just noticed some Blazers about an hour west of me for $345 a ton. Funny how they travel from Oregon to PA and they're just over $200, but that extra 5 hrs. east and the price jumps 75%. To hell with you Blazers!

I don't care if they produce 0 ash and self load into my stove.....I ain't paying that!

Reactions: Edward Hughes
Just noticed some Blazers about an hour west of me for $345 a ton. Funny how they travel from Oregon to PA and they're just over $200, but that extra 5 hrs. east and the price jumps 75%. To hell with you Blazers!

I don't care if they produce 0 ash and self load into my stove.....I ain't paying that!
don't blame you.
I paid 5.16 a bag at HD last week for 30 bags.. around 250.00 ton.

It's the store, not the pellet. Some stores have kept their prices remarkably stable while others have taken advantage of a perceived (or real) shortage buyer's panic and jacked up their prices, just like some gas stations due when a shortage exists. I say vote with your feet and avoid those vendors, especially after things return to normal.

It's the store, not the pellet. Some stores have kept their prices remarkably stable while others have taken advantage of a perceived (or real) shortage buyer's panic and jacked up their prices, just like some gas stations due when a shortage exists. I say vote with your feet and avoid those vendors, especially after things return to normal.

It's not that I'm cheap, because I'm not. It's more so what you're saying "rebel against the system"....that's what really pisses me off! Don't even think it was 3 seasons ago, you could get Green Team's (which is a medium grade at best) at Lowes for $177 a ton, but for the price it was certainly worth it. The next season the same pellet was priced $100 higher...and that was the end of that.

Combination of increased demand (bandwagon yahoos!) and retail mark-up. Hopefully with the decrease of Oil (which I know is another thread), will bring pellets back to what they should be.

Reactions: Peterfield
It's the store, not the pellet. Some stores have kept their prices remarkably stable while others have taken advantage of a perceived (or real) shortage buyer's panic and jacked up their prices.

Just curious. What part of New Hampshire do you live?

Dan

Peterborough, but I am over in Keene and Manchester frequently and visit various vendors when I can.

Peterfield,
What does Keene have in stock? I may be over there this week.

Last edited:

Ha Boobo0:
Thank you for being BLUNT. It is 2900 miles from Columbia City Or to the east coast, and a trucker
wants $3.00 perloaded mile some say. MATH has really changed.
Someone PLEASE HELP us understand how business make money selling at less than miles expense.
Maybe Mr. Takeman can make " cents " of this.
GOOD luck
Boo

Sounds like a good excuse to head over there and see what they have. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.