Bless Me Father For I Have Sinned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For drinking a bottle of hot sauce I better be getting more than freakin dinner and a movie.... :mad:
It was prolly Coors Lite in that bottle.... ;-)

BK is sayin to himself right now....
"WTF have they done to my thread?" :shut: >:-( :lol:

plenty room in my neighborhood for a fine, upstanding citzen like yourself BK. We have army surplus store within walking distance...very nice feature. Public pool that does not turn blue when you pee in it. ALso many nice modern things like water that comes from the faucet, lights (electric), and stove/oven combo.....sweet. You let me know, I'll scout around for "vacant" places.

Danno77 said:
SolarAndWood said:
Battenkiller said:
I'm told they can't just reassess an individual home around here, that they have to do it by the entire area

I'd check on that. Most towns now go on market value and there is no better estimate than the closing that just happened. All of the towns here watch the closings. Funny thing though, they only automatically raise, you have to fight if you paid less than the assessment. I'm waiting for the day the towns inside the blue line go to the 3%+ norm. NY really needs to get a handle on property taxes.
That's when you see contracts for "10,000 plus cash in hand." being submitted to the courthouse, but different contracts in the hands of the seller and buyers. I'm no lawyer, so these things are beyond me, but from looking at abstracts on historic properties, that seems to be quite common. Probably only works for cash sales, not ones with bank loans because of their requirements.

Standard language in Maine used to be "For the sum of one dollar and other valuable considerations". But back to the original subject, people down east and up the County burn old railroad ties,there's plenty of 'em, they're cheap, and they sure throw some wicked heat. Leastways that's what I hear.

Yahoos like these give woodburners a bad name. Railroad ties are deeply infused with creosote and pentachlorophenol. Great idea to add some more creosote to your system and gas out your neighbors. There is a Darwin award in this somewhere. Or a lawsuit.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
And SAW? maybe you need better representation ;-) Let me know.

Jimbo

All good Jimbo. I buy the fixer uppers/rebuildables. Head down to the assessors office as soon as I close to get them to drop the assessment to what I paid.

BeGreen said:
Yahoos like these give woodburners a bad name. Railroad ties are deeply infused with creosote and pentachlorophenol. Great idea to add some more creosote to your system and gas out your neighbors. There is a Darwin award in this somewhere. Or a lawsuit.
Yeah, you tell him. Who does this OP think he is? Some people, Geesh.

Hanging by a thread here BK, did they accept the offer?

BeGreen said:
Hanging by a thread here BK, did they accept the offer?

Yeah . . . don't keep us in suspense BK.

Yeah BK....WTF?
This can be a good or bad thing since we have not heard from him... >:-(
I am hoping he and Rose are "celebrating".... :)

Still don't know guys.

Home was listed at $159,900. It is out in the sticks in an area that has not had much real estate activity for a while. We've been scouring that area for a month and a half now. There are "for sale" signs everywhere, but we can see that nothing is moving. I'd hate to have to try to sell a home out that way, even though we personally love the area. There are precious few comps for comparison to indicate what similar homes have sold for, and the realtor felt the initial asking price was kinda high. The "Zestimates" from the Zillow website is all we have to go on, and that's show's a severe drop in that area since the bubble burst. Zestimate on this home is $131,500.

Our realtor contacted the listing agent and got a story about the sellers that they are "highly motivated" to sell, that they are trying to get under contract on another home, but are still $8000 apart on the price. We figured that they came in with an real lowball initial offer if they were at an impasse like that after a series of offers and counters. Our realtor suggested that we come in at $140,000 to see if that drew a counter. We decided to put in a slightly higher - 10% below asking price - with the hopes of letting them know they will need to come down but are willing to listen to a reasonable counter. The purchase offer went in at $143,500.

After two long agonizing days, they got back to us with their counter - $156,900. Less than 2% off the already high asking price. Our agent said he was surprised their counter was so high. The selling agent told him she was surprised they came down that much.

So now we're weighing what our options are. If we had the time, I'd let them stew for a few months. Wait for the price to drop (and it will, they are all dropping around here), then put in another offer for the same $143K. As it is, we may be stuck paying way more than it is worth or be forced to rent a home at a much higher monthly payment, in a place I won't ever be able to settle in with my shop and other stuff.

A huge confounding factor is how this place will appraise for a USDA-backed loan. Our hope is to just get them to come down by 6%... the estimated closing costs. Our mortgage broker told us that it is a huge red flag for the underwriters to see closing costs being rolled into the mortgage that exceeds the asking price of the home. And I don't have $10K to spare to cover those costs, not with attorney's fees, inspections, appraisal, moving costs, and all that we want to do to this place after we get it

Any real estate gurus have solid advice about which way we should think of going?

Here's a link to the listing. Note the "door to nowhere" out from the kitchen in the back. Silly modular homes, they get on site with them and it's "oops... hadn't thought about that". Nothing that a few grand worth of deck won't fix, but I'm surprised they could have kids in that place for 7 years without ever addressing that error. The rest of the place is just what the doctor ordered for us empty nesters.

http://www.albanyhomes411.com/homes/2388-County-Highway-107/17510725/?index=7

BTW there is a nice Harmon P-61 pellet stove in the living room (goes with the home) and 3 tons of pellets in the basement (not sure if they'll include them or sell them). Full insulation in the floor joists, and the driest, I mean the bone-driest basement I think I've ever seen. After 20 years of dealing with massive groundwater floods, this is a dream come true. There will be a wood stove in the recreation room I plan for the basement (hopefully a Woodstock, it truly sucks that I can't get the awesome pricing they are offering right now), and there is a nice Brunswick pool table with an Italian slate bed in usable condition about 10 minutes away being advertised on CL for $300. I've wanted my own pool table all my life, just never had the room for one. So, this place is just supposed to happen, eh? Just don't know the steps to get there. I even tried invoking the spirit of Jean-Luc Picard by telling our realtor to "Make it so", but apparently, he is not a Trekkie.

It looks like a nice place for you guys BK.....the land is awesome....and no noisy neighbors to deal with...
I hope you get it... :)

GAMMA RAY said:
It looks like a nice place for you guys BK.....the land is awesome....and no noisy neighbors to deal with...
I hope you get it... :)

With 8 chainsaws, WE will be the noisy neighbors. :cheese:

Hey, do me a favor and ask George what he thinks, OK? I trust his opinion, he is obviously pretty astute in these matters.

That is a neat and clean set of digs, BK.

A few years ago, I was agonizing over the same kind of decision over a tiny little cabin on the Mighty Mississippi. The $$ amount was substantially less then your decision, but with me it finally came down to: Its what I want, Its where I want, and it is a chance at something that doesn't come around very often (very limited numbers of cabins on the river and most sales are private, rarely bid on by public.).

You might want to take a step back and look at it from a "worth" value to you personally. I ain't talking about appraisal value, but personal value. How much is it worth to not rent some other place, just to move again. How much is owning your own little slice of serenity, how much is it worth to call the place "home" and be at comfort knowing that.

I can't answer those questions, but they should be considered. Not everything can be quantitatively valued. Your at a $13,000 impasse. What does that mean to YOU.

I am not familiar with the housing out there. Maybe this is one of many (but it doesn't really sound like it) choices. I am in NO way trying to convince you one way or the other, just throwing out some real world, personal observations. Sometimes it is not about the bottom dollar.

Looks like a decent place BK . . . tell them if they throw in the geese for free you'll meet them halfway. ;) :)

Looks great BK, but I would hold out for a lower price so you can get those costs rolled in to the mortgage. I was lucky-mine appraised at 40k more than I was offering and the seller didn't get an appraisal. Of course the financial world imploded ten days later, and now the value is probably only up about 10k. Zillow estimates can be wildly different than appraisals. Your realtor should be able to make a rough appraisal so you know you are in the ballpark,

I know how stressful the process is, but it will be worth it!

good luck bk...but ya gotta dump the pellet stove! those pellets are just too hard to stack after you split them!

and definetly get the pool table...

Looks like you will spend more time mowing than processing firewood :) Nice looking place and from what I've heard its nice to move into a place that needs nothing.

The bank of america "trend" website puts it a bit higher than Zillow does... into the range basically that you are offering and including the range they are asking... not that that helps, but anyway they might have better comps recorded or something. Check it out - maybe it'll make you feel better about how the bank will appraise it or whatnot.

Hmmm. I have to put a couple returns in here, the estimate site comes up as "blacklisted!" Take out the returns in here and see if it works... (Mods, if it really SHOULD BE blacklisted let me know and I'll edit it out!)

http://realestatecenter.bankofamerica
.com/tools/marketvalue.aspx?cm_mmc=CRE-HomeLoans-_-vanity-_-CA01VN002F_homevalue-_-102910

Good luck! If it's meant to be, it will work out for you. If not, that means something wonderful still awaits!

Yeesh, makes me wish I didn't work/live down here. 159K doesn't go very far here still. Certainly not 4 acres, 3BR/2Bth! Keep your head in the game BK. It's a rotten process but the harvest is sweet!

Do not believe much of anything you find on Zillow. The AVM they use is based on data that is wrong more often than right, especially as you get into rural areas of Upstate.

Broadalbin, 'eh?? You prepared to have to drive through that ridiculous new traffic circle every day? Most places are REMOVING traffic circles; they took out a perfectly fine intersection to put IN a rotary :shut:

Look at it this way . . . It's overpriced (Do NOT believe things you hear from Brokers, even when they claim to be working for you). The market right now is -at best- flat. Or going down. No one buys during the winter. Employment is the biggest driver of residential values. Other than the supposed AMD plant, do you see employment getting better or worse?

The reason you are in this situation is that your current housing moved out from under you. Any chance that is mortgage related? If so, talk to the bank about renting the place until Spring.

The last time Broadalbin reappraised was 2007. Which means the assessment represent July 1 2006 market value. State has them at 90%, which equates to 111k, if I understood you correct that it is assessed at 100k.

Have you asked the Assessor for the sales history of this home?

Jimbo

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Broadalbin, 'eh?? You prepared to have to drive through that ridiculous new traffic circle every day? Most places are REMOVING traffic circles; they took out a perfectly fine intersection to put IN a rotary :shut:

Look at it this way . . . It's overpriced (Do NOT believe things you hear from Brokers, even when they claim to be working for you). The market right now is -at best- flat. Or going down. No one buys during the winter. Employment is the biggest driver of residential values. Other than the supposed AMD plant, do you see employment getting better or worse?

The reason you are in this situation is that your current housing moved out from under you. Any chance that is mortgage related? If so, talk to the bank about renting the place until Spring.

The last time Broadalbin reappraised was 2007. Which means the assessment represent July 1 2006 market value. State has them at 90%, which equates to 111k, if I understood you correct that it is assessed at 100k.

Have you asked the Assessor for the sales history of this home?

Jimbo

Jimbo, the house is in the Broadalbin-Perth school district, but it is south of Rt. 29 and east of Rt. 30, on County RT. 107. No circle to go through. OTOH that AMD plant sure has added a few. At least 12, and all in the Malta area. It is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I can't imagine newcomers to the area being able to find their way around through that maze, I keep getting lost myself. From where we live now, my wife has to go through at least three new roundabouts that are along Rt 67, and as many as five in quick succession if she heads all the way to Rt. 9 to take the back way during track season. She literally gets dizzy from them some days, without having to pay the price of an amusement park ticket. Her commute (I work in the home) will be cut by ten miles if we get this place. No circles at all, and almost all of it is on relaxing country roads.

The reason we are being forced out is not bank related at all. The owners simply want to give our home to a hired hand to keep him working for them (I'm sure at an "agricultural" salary). After 21 years of timely rent payments, we're being sent to pasture like a couple of their dried out cows. There seems to be zero chance that they will even let us stay until the first of the year, never mind spring.

Employment in the area is stable, not getting any better, but the new plant will bring money into the area, so as commerce increases, I'd expect more jobs... at least in the Saratoga area. But it's still a 30 minute commute to just about anywhere from this new place, so there won't exactly be a rush of buyers coming into that area. If we could play the waiting game it might work out better, but we have to move quickly.

As far as the assessment, you are correct, the full market on the house was $110K in 2006, and the .90 factor brought it to $99K. I still can't get my mind around a home like this having a full market value that low. It costs about $40K around here just for excavation, a full foundation (concrete is expensive everywhere), and simple septic. A well will cost upwards of $10K. One of these Bill Lake modulars of this size and quality will cost upwards of $100K to build in the plant and place on the foundation. Then there's the 4+ acre lot. A building lot that size has to be worth at least $40K (land was assessed at $38K, not sure how long ago).

Add 'em all up and you have $180K minimum to place a new modular there. A far cry from $110K for a seven year-old home.

And yet, if that is really the current fair market value, why on earth would an agent list it for $159K to start? I understand the "buying a listing" concept, but shouldn't she be advising her client to meet us halfway since they have little to no chance of selling it at that price? Supposedly, these folks are the tailor-made "motivated seller" we've been looking for in this supposedly buyer's market. They have a home in mind, they want their kids in a better school district, winter is coming on, and we may be the only serious buyers in the area. Plus, they are demanding that the sale of their home is contingent on their being able to close on another home... that they are still at an $8000K impasse themselves. Why have they only budged about 1.8% off their initially high offering? There hasn't been a thing in my life I haven't been able to negotiate 10% off on if the price is negotiable in the first place. Every one of my power tools that I will be putting up for sale would fly out of here for 10% off what I consider will already be an extremely fair price. Take 'em all and I'll give the buyer a real sweet deal on the package.

It's all a puzzle to me, and I really have lost sight of how this relates to burning pressure-treated wood in my stove, but I will continue to abstain from the practice now that I have been properly chastised. I feel so much better now that I've been disciplined. I was beginning to lose my sense of boundaries in these matters, so thanks for slapping me back into consensus behavior regarding this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.