Blizzard coming, are you ready?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am ready!

PlowDone8_700.jpg

I have a nice 8.5 HP Honda snowblower. That thing is so reliable. Bring on the 20 plus inches.

Just started coming down here in Hampton, NH. I'm ready as well. I've even run the power cord from the motorhome to the transfer switch in the house. 75 gallons of gas so I'm good for a week. They are predicting 60 to 75 mph winds so I KNOW the power's going out. Probably when I'm at work. :-( I may leave all my Christmas lights on just to pi** off the neighbors!

Chan

Well the 'lizzard arrived a bit before 7 this evening. Folks it ain't no Geico Gecko type 'lizzard either.

Batten down the hatches and if you have any sense at all hibernate for a couple of days ;-).

www_godzilla said:
I have a nice 8.5 HP Honda snowblower. That thing is so reliable. Bring on the 20 plus inches.

Only one snowblower?

j-takeman said:
Lets see?

Pellets-check!

Wood in case we loose power-check!

Beer-Check!

Gas for snow removal and genny-check!

food-check!

beer-check!

Did I miss something?

Hey, you said beer twice????

well he had to make sure he has enough for 2 days!

doghouse said:
www_godzilla said:

Only one snowblower?

Two snowblowers in the garage gased and ready to go:
Honda HS520 Single Stage used for 80% of the storms 3" - 8"
Honda HS928 Two Stage for the deep stuff

Single Stage and Two Stage Honda Snowblowers ...Best of both worlds!!!

Glosta said:
doghouse said:
www_godzilla said:

Only one snowblower?

Two snowblowers in the garage gased and ready to go:
Honda HS520 Single Stage used for 80% of the storms 3" - 8"
Honda HS928 Two Stage for the deep stuff

Single Stage and Two Stage Honda Snowblowers ...Best of both worlds!!!

Now we're talking! (I got 3, 4 if you count the mini-blower)

Hello

Yes Smokey from the Forecast chart below we are in for some heavy accumulations in Salem NH where I am.

My Avalon Astoria FS pellet stove which is heating the whole house, has been smoothly chugging along all day on Feed Rate 2 which is 2.46 lbs per hour, or 59 lbs every 24 hours because it is overcast and about 25 degrees out almost all day!

Still at Lowes $3.74 per bag of Maine's Choice wood pellets that is:

59 lbs per day times 30 days = 1770 lbs per month

1770 / 40 = 44.25 or about 45 bags per month.

So

45 bags times $3.74 per bag = $168.30 per month.

Instead of approx 75 gals of Oil per month at $2.85 per gallon or $213.75 per month with Oil Heat!!

Saving approx $45.45 per month and being nice and cozy warm!! LOL

Attachments

• Snowstorm12-26-2010-1.jpg
    Snowstorm12-26-2010-1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Snowstorm12-26-2010-2.jpg
    Snowstorm12-26-2010-2.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 216
j-takeman said:
imacman said:
mralias said:
Hey, you said beer twice????

And that's a problem???? :)

I umm errr hickup errr umm! What blistard? What was the quessssstion again? hiccup errr umm. :) hickup errr. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Well I checked the snack and brew inventory and I can safely make it through about a week.

A pic out my front door facing NE at about 9PM....scary!

Attachments

• 12:26:10.jpg
    12:26:10.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 182
Pellet bin is full, a few extra bags in the cellar, generator tested and fueled, plow on the truck. Bring it.

Hello

A pic out my front door facing NE at about 9PM….scary!

Here is a pic at 9:50 PM out my kitchen side door facing the south where our storm is coming from!!

It is 3-4 inches deep already and higher in the snow drifts!

Gave the pellet stove a good cleaning earlier so we are good for the long haul !!!

Attachments

• Snowstorm12-26-2010-4SC.jpg
    Snowstorm12-26-2010-4SC.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 301
seemed to stop snowing here at least for the time being

Our daughter called and said her husband would be over to dig us out once the blizzard stops. So, I'm guessing we are as ready as we are going to get!

Whats a blizzard? It is supposed to be cold this week. I read in the weather section on yahoo that it might actually get down to 36 degrees later this week.

Hello

At 8:00 AM in Salem NH we got about a foot of snow see pic below.

The storm is not over until noon time today so the NOAA snow fall totals is not ready yet. See link below:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/snow-and-ice/recent.php?period=1&region=27&submitted=Submit

Had to increase the wood pellet stove from feed rate of 2 to feed rate of 3 (3.22 lbs per hour) at 4:00 AM to keep the house up to 69 degrees.

Anyways the driveway and stairs are shoveled out for now so we will see how much more we get?

Attachments

• Snowstorm12-27-2010-6SC.jpg
    Snowstorm12-27-2010-6SC.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 254
looks like only about 6" here

We only got about 3 or 4" here in New Castle County. Downstate got slammed!

Heading to work. Everybody stay warm and safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.