Block Off Plate Above Fireplace Damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mnowaczyk

Feeling the Heat
Feb 19, 2009
Delaware
II have a 1982 insert and I'd like the possible option of going back to an open fireplace. So I don't want to rip out my damper frame, which is only 5 inches deep, and I need an 8" liner. I can drop an 8" round liner from the top, and feed 8" oval up from the bottom, but I have not yet figured out a way to connect the two. Oval won't fit down from above, and round won't fit up from below. I couldn't figure out how we'd get the oval-to-round adapter in there. The cold weather came before I figured it out, and I started burning anyway. Two sweeps and an HVAC guy said to not worry about the liner... So I felt comfortable burning... for a little while anyway.

I have been burning for almost two weeks this year, and even see my 1982 stove manual recommends an 8" liner and checking for creosote twice a month. That's just a few days from now. I have learned the issues of having a 13"x13" clay liner... slow start to a hot fast burn. I'm guessing that my terracotta has gunk all over it already, and have reasonable fear of a chimney fire with my setup. (Add to that, friends of my wife just had a chimney fire.)

My question is...
If I get 8" round down to the top of the damper (or just a little above it for smoother air flow), would it be smart/feasible/safe to just to make a block-off plate that would terminate the bottom end of the 8"round in a ~16" x ~16" flue just above the old damper? That would leave me with the option of feeding 8" oval up into the same section of the 16x16 flue (or just doing a slammer install letting the insert exhaust in the firebox). Is this a bad idea to not have a constant connection to the stove? More brick to heat before getting to the stainless? Difficult cleaning?

I've done my fair share of sheet metal work. So assume I could create a tight fit for the block-off plate (although it might be an awkward place to work). I'm just curious about the expansion / contraction of the smoke. All the corners could be difficult to clean.

But are there any better ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.