Block off plate and other question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurningBrutus

Oct 24, 2013
Amherst, NY
HI, i am planning on installing the block off plate, can some one send me the link here for the thread on this, I seem to be unable to locate it. Also, while i have the stove out, should i also put roxul on the side wall and back wall? how far does it have to be from the stove or can it touch it? Also, how do i keep the roxul from falling over when i install in on the side and back walls, any help or links on this will be greatly appreciated. I have a PE Super insert.

Thanks

Chris

I'm thinking about cutting a piece of sheet so that I have to slightly force it into the back of my fireplace to hold the insulation in place.

Thanks for the link, what about the sides and back? can put roxul on them? How close can it be to the stove or can it touch it, or is that bad?

Is this an exterior wall fireplace? If there's room you probably would do better insulating the sides and back with 1/2" micore board. It is rigid and can be anchored to the walls. Micore is soft. Use fender washers under the screw heads.

Yes it is a exterior wall firplace, is micore board the same as any cement board out there? or do i specifically need to get MICORE board?

No, micore is quite different. It is fibrous and a better insulator. It's also a good sound barrier and frequently used in cubicle dividers. You could use Durock NexGen cement board if that is all that's available. It has an R=.39 insulation value. Micore 160 is 1.27 per 1/2" or about 3 times the insulation value.

Hi there, I missed the install of our Regency CI2600 insert, and have no idea what's behind the surround. Is it likely that if I get the surround off, I will have enough room to do this without taking the insert out?

Thanks!!
It will all depend on how much room you have between the top of the insert and the bottom of the lintel usually, that will be the tight area if any.
It shouldn't take much to remove the surround and take a look.
That would be your starting point, and see what you have to work with.
I installed mine with the insert in place. It was a PITA as I could barely get my arms in there, and I had to use a right angle drill attachment in some areas, but I did manage to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.