block off plate.....at top of chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soxfan13

Nov 10, 2007
eastern MA
I am a total noob and am getting my first insert installed on 1/11. I spoke with the installers today and asked about a block off plate because of what I have read here. The installers said they block off at the top of the chimney with a piece of stainless steal that they fit around the pipe. Obviusly this is not like the set up I have read about on this web site. Will this help keep the heat in/cold out at all? Should I also have a block off plate like described here installed? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. The chimney is about 25 ft high on the southern end of the house.

Yes you want a block off plate below the existing damper with some high temp insulation above it ( ie Kaowool ) especially if this is an exterior chimney if not you will be heating all that masonry

And, a block off at the top too.

Status
Not open for further replies.