Block off plate insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy Living

Jan 7, 2015
PA
Well after a lot of research, I have a couple questions regarding insulation on top of the block off plate.

1) Does the insulation need to be fire resistant?
2) Where on earth can you purchase Roxul that doesnt come in those large bundles?

I would only need enough for the block off plate and buying one of those large bundles would leave me with a large amount of extra insulation.

Roxul is what you want. Yes, it it only sold in the giant bundles.

Be creative! What about insulating your attic door with extra Roxul? What about adding Roxul to some bare spots in the attic? What about some on the underside of the top plate (if you have a chimney and not Class A running up outside)?

There is always Criagslist to recoup some of that $40.

Reactions: 302BroncoJim
I bought a big bundle and have been doing exactly as Rick suggested, it's not going to waste.

Reactions: 302BroncoJim
thanks for the feedback. Ill just use the extra in the attic above the great room I guess. Weatherguy, that is a very nice looking stove, I was thinking of getting my mother one for her house, how do you like that model?

Status
Not open for further replies.