block off plate insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brokeburner

Dec 3, 2008
southern ohio
What can i use to seal betwen the block off plate and the fireplace wall to make an airtight seal. Ive asked this question before but first time i could get a pic on here. Thx

Attachments

• my pictures 399.JPG
    my pictures 399.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 315
1/16 or 1/8 plus the moarter gaps in between bricks

Could you glue a piece of high temp insulation to the back of the plate using high temp silicone.

Your description sounds like you mean the stove's surround that goes flat against the face of the fireplace?

Right the plate that fits against the fireplace. It doesnt really get that hot its never so hot you cant touch it

Peel a bit off of some unfaced fiberglass batt and use that.

IM using regular pipe insulating fiberglass now and its not an airtight seal. Do you boys think that i could use the high temp rtv silicone. the gaps are kinda big in the mortar joints thats what im worried about and when i have to clean the chimney have to peel that crap off

I wouldn't put silicone on the brick/faceplate joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.