Block-off plate or kaowool wrap? Or both?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, do I think a block off plate is a good thing? Yes. Not being a chimney person it looks kind of nasty to do, though. If your chimney is internal then its less important for efficiency. Sealing the liner around the top seems like a very good idea.

Chimneysweeped...currently an 8x12 tile flue in excellent condition, but it will become an 8x12 flue in excellent condition WITH a full ss liner, top to bottom. It's an inside (middle of the house to the peak) chimney. I will put a plate in, no question now. Thanks.

Oh...thanks for the cleanup on the signature...I thought maybe it was "chimneys weeped" and that would make an interesting post in and of itself! Thanks.

A block off plate is not a fashion statement. A block off plate has benefits, especially for an exterior flue.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Why_damper_seal_is_needed/

The decision is simple if you have an exterior chimney. Do you want to heat the outdoors or would you rather your hard earned efforts be biased towards heating the interior? If you have an interior chimney, then benefits fall off, particularly if there is a large part of the masonry exposed to the interior of the house so that the heat is radiated back into the living space.

Status
Not open for further replies.