block off plate question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatdonkey

Dec 15, 2014
West Norriton, PA
I will be installing my stove on Friday. Im going to run a liner down my external brick chimney.

Im going to prefab the block off plate today in preparation for friday. The liner has not been run down the chimney yet. After i create the block off plate, should i cut the hole for the liner in it or wait till the liner is in place to do so? I want the liner to sit as far back as possible so im sure of where i want the hole for the liner.

Also, do i make the hole large enough for the liner insulation to fit thru it as well, or just the liner? Im going to HD tonight to get roxul insulation and furnace cement. Should i use the cement to seal around the liner once its thru the plate?

Im sure ill have more questions but those are all that come to mind now.

Look up an old thread called "Poor Mans Block Off Plate" I used the idea from this. Easy to make and worked great for me.

Reactions: phatdonkey
Furnace cement will crack & fall out. Stuff the gap with door rope gasket.

You do not need to insulate the liner below the block-off plate.

Do you know exactly where your stove's collar will be in relation to sitting inside the fireplace, and how the liner will come to it? If you don't, and you cut a hole for the liner to fit through, you could be off a few inches. Shame and scandal will follow. Perhaps a cardboard mock-up will prevent the aforementioned shame and scandal.

Then again, you may have a rear exit stove. Or maybe a free standing stove outside of a masonry fireplace. I don't know. You did not provide info in your post nor in your signature, so I guessed by looking at your avatar pic.

Did I guess well, or poorly?

I was short on info Rick. Im installing a Jotul Oslo using the rear exit and a tee. I've created a lot of threads and forgot to add my setup to this one. I built out my hearth to allow the stove to sit in front of my masonry firebox, then rear exit to the tee an up the existing chimney. I took out the damper and cut the damper housing and removed 2 bricks at the top rear of the firebox to allow an 8 inch gap for the liner in the center.

The posts begreen added here have asked most of my questions, but your info finished the job Rick. I didnt think it had to be insulated below the plate but wasn't sure.

Thanks you too hogwildz. The rope gasket will definitely do the trick. Just gotta get some.

Thanks again gentlemen and i will post pics as this all comes together.

Status
Not open for further replies.