Block off plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can build one a lot cheaper than that. $100 taxes in from that website seems steep. If you know a place that makes ducts/sheet metal stuff just get them to make a sheet the dimension of your opening. Cut a hole to pass the liner and you can put roxul on top.

Some people simply stuff Roxul in the opening (it is semi rigid) depending on the size. It is fireproof.

You can build one a lot cheaper than that. $100 taxes in from that website seems steep. If you know a place that makes ducts/sheet metal stuff just get them to make a sheet the dimension of your opening. Cut a hole to pass the liner and you can put roxul on top.

Some people simply stuff Roxul in the opening (it is semi rigid) depending on the size. It is fireproof.
I was thinking to just stuff the roxul in the damper for now, but won't the insulation fiber make there way into the room?

No, if you pack the Roxul up there it should stay there.

You can a piece of sheet metal at Lowes or HD for under $10, that's where I got mine, Lowes has the Roxul, I haven't seen it at the HD I go to but they may carry it too. total cost should be $50 and you'll have a whole lot of roxul leftover.

If that insert is hot you should not feel cold air behind the surround. Block off plate or not. Find out if that liner is sealed off at the top of the chimney. Yeah a block off plate holds the heat in the living space but there is something else happening here.

Reactions: Swedishchef
That kit you posted is only 9" x 24", so it would only cover your damper door opening, assuming your opening isn't bigger than 24". Most people like to seal off their entire fireplace opening in the top of the firebox of the fireplace. As others have stated, it's not too hard to fabricate a custom block off plate from sheet metal if you are somewhat handy with tools. When I did mine I made a template first out of some cardboard and used that to rough out the sheet metal version. It took a bit of tweaking, but in the end it came out with a very tight fit. To get a good tight fit around my SS flexible liner I first cut an 8" hole in the block off plate to give me a bit of wiggle room in positioning my liner to fit my stove placement just right. Here is what things looked like at that stage:

IMG_0183.JPG

To seal this opening after I dropped my liner down through the hole I used a 12" square chimney cap plate and this gave a nice snug fit around the flex liner. I connected the cap plate to my block off plate with four sheet metal screws:

IMG_0179.JPG

To finish off a tight seal I filled any gaps with stove cement. What you can't see in these photos is that I also laid some insulation on top of the stop off plate before I ran the flex liner down through the hole. So far it has worked great.

Last edited:
If that insert is hot you should not feel cold air behind the surround. Block off plate or not. Find out if that liner is sealed off at the top of the chimney. Yeah a block off plate holds the heat in the living space but there is something else happening here.
You are 100 percent right. They left a 1" gap at the top to prevent smells from comming into the house. They told me this after the install was done. I think it's time to take the cap off and seal that up.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Note to those who rely on the pros to do the installation right: don't!

Status
Not open for further replies.