Block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gibson

Apr 29, 2008
Lincoln, RI
I will be installing my Jotul C550 next weekend. Full stainless steel liner, straight shot. I am planning on measuring the damper area and making a template for a block off plate to take to a sheet metal shop. Questions:
1) Will they know what I am talking about.
2) Is this the right approach?
3) Stainless steel right?
4) Hi temp silicone to secure it?

I took my damper door off. Cut a hole in it the size of the liner. Then put it back in place. Closed it. Ran the liner through it and sealed the liner and hole with stove cement, and sealer the outer edge of the damper with silicon. No need to do any metal work other than cut the hole in the old damper.

1. Go to your local hardware store and buy a piece of sheet metal
2. Place your template on top of the sheet metal.
3. Cut out template with a pair of tin snips.
4. Put it in and seal with hi-temp silicone.
5. Great job! your done.

Manny, did you see my guide to measuring?

If you are handy with a pair of tin snips, you can DIY. Or, just measure carefully using my guide and bring to a shop - have them make it from 24 ga (or even 26) galv sheet metal. You can always make the hole a little big and then use rope gasket and furnace cement to seal it up.....

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/making_a_block_off_plate/

In my experience, it is MUCH easier to make the plate for the area right above the fireplace opening (as shown) then to make it for the damper area.

Thanks Craig,
I think I made a pretty good template today out of cardboard. It fits well. We'll see next weekend how it works for real.
Be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.