block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bama

Oct 22, 2007
northeast alabama
I purchased a slightly used buck 91 Saturday. I am going to use it as a insert I have to purchase the trim kit hopefully from the local dealer. As I was searching for somewhere to buy this I ran upon this forum. I had in a way thought that there was a better way to install the insert and began reading about the block off plate that was recommended. I have just moved in the home and took the old gas logs out today and had a cousin that was a brickmason come out to look over the chimney it has never appeared to have been used. the house was built in 91 and the gas logs was dated 94. But looking at the damper would it be alright to if I can reach it to make a block off and screw it to the damper housing. Will the damper slide out of the frame where I can take it out? The outlet on the stove is 8 Inch and Would like to use a regular pipe and a flex fitting of some type to be able to pull the insert when cleaning. The chimney does have tile and would eventually like to run pipe up it later but can't afford for now. but would it be practical to mount to the damper housing and try to retrofit a pipe to it or do i need to make the plate lower towards the lip of the opening like the hearth diagram of building one of these plates. Thanks for any advice.

You need to at least use a 5 foot tube of flexible stainless, which will go through the damper area and near to the first flue tile. Without this, it is doubtful that the unit will work properly.

You can purchase flex pipe that has been ovalized and then use an adapter or else some flex still is round on the bottom.

The best place to put the plate is not up at the damper frame - it is difficult to work up there. Put it about 2" above the opening of the fireplace, so the front of the plate contact the rear of the fireplace lintel (angle iron).

Directions are here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/making_a_block_off_plate/

Status
Not open for further replies.