Block off plates, seriously. Is this a $$ making scam?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Lopi Declaration install instructions on manual, pg 16 show that the block off plate is required for direct connect (unlined) chimney installations but not for positive connect (lined.) Your friend's local codes may say different, but Lopi doesn't require a block off for that installation at all.

I've got two flues in the same structure. When my stove isn't running the infrared thermometer reads about 15 degrees warmer than the room. I'm guessing because the boiler is warming my side. Since last year I replaced the boiler and relined the boiler flue with an insulated liner, so Im' guessing I won't get any extra heat in the insert flue.

In my 13 years of installing wood stoves its like this, a block off plate is nothing but an advantage it does not have any dis advantage to the stoves operation. The dis advantage lies during installation as well as chimney cleaning, these plates can and most often complicate flue liner install, and increase install time thus leading to a higher install cost, none the less these plates should be installed and it wouldnt hurt to lay non combustible insulation like rock wool or whatever is available locally on top of the plate.

I have a block off plate but I plan on screwing a piece of sheet metal on top of the shroud and filling it with more kaowool which will allow the stove to breathe.... I don't think I put enough on the backside of the block off plate..
But remember the block off plate does stop heat from going up , but it is more of a safety issue than heat issue... stuffed Insulation will stop heat but won't offer then same protection from a possible fire .. that's the real reason of a block off plate
Here is my install.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11697/
Here is some old school info
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4454/

Status
Not open for further replies.