Block the stove? HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris04626

Minister of Fire
I have my pellet stove kiddie cornered

I have a 5 month old thats trying to crawl i need something to block her access to the stove something that she cant tip over onto herself either

Any tips?

What about a baby gate or metal hearth gate around the stove?

Another idea is get some boxes and fill em up with heavy books or something to barricade the
stove. This should stop her till she starts climbing. We used this method for the xmas
tree when my sons were babies.

how about a nice hearth screen or two that goes around the stove? try tying the screening sections together and to the stove sides with black wire. secure the wire high enough and loose enough so you can easily undo the side you need to get to the controls or door, etc.

Our children grew up with a coal stove and they never went near it, we told them no that it was hot and they stayed away, my one son did touch it once and never went near it again.

Chris04626 said:
thought about getting this, http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266978

But you think it would melt or anything?

Think the thing would work, just have to make sure it is fasten down or it might fall over. My son (5) touched our stove when he was 2 and got a nice burn to his fingers, left som skin on the door. after that he never came by it, but he will help me clean it when he cannt hear the thing running. good luck

My son did the same thing except he didnt mean to touch it he tripped and went to catch himself and got the stove. 5 month is a little to young to understand the whole hot thing and i couldnt stand to see her get burned. I think something like this gate will wok if i can fasten somehow

When I was a kid, and when my kids were kids, kids were taught the meaning of "NO" and "HOT". Guess that's not acceptable any more.

Chris, We purchased the same gate for protection from our toddler crawling up to the stove. We used it for 1 season and it worked out great. I love this gate since its portable and it can be broken down and reduced in size if need be. It's worth every penny. What's real nice is your able to bend the sections so that you can basically wrap the gate about 4 feet away from the stove in a half octagon shape and you don' have to mount it to any walls. If you're concerned in putting holes in the wall our mounting it to the floor just use bungy cords and removable hooks on the wall so that the little one can't lean on the gate and pull back. Hope that makes sense.

Check out Kidco products.
They make a childproof surround in 10' lengths &
you can add or subtract 2' sections as needed.
The center section is a gate that really small hands can't open.
The entire thing comes with hardware to anchor it to the wall...
About $199 at Toys-R-Us...

hossthehermit said:
When I was a kid, and when my kids were kids, kids were taught the meaning of "NO" and "HOT". Guess that's not acceptable any more.

Yes im sure you and your kids knew what hot meant at 5 months old whether you were told something was hot or not.

Thanks to all those who has chimed in with useful information

Chris04626 said:
I have my pellet stove kiddie cornered

I have a 5 month old thats trying to crawl i need something to block her access to the stove something that she cant tip over onto herself either

Any tips?

Dog kennel (for the kid) until she can walk. Only thing I can think of. :cheese:

DAKSY said:
Check out Kidco products.
They make a childproof surround in 10' lengths &
you can add or subtract 2' sections as needed.
The center section is a gate that really small hands can't open.
The entire thing comes with hardware to anchor it to the wall...
About $199 at Toys-R-Us...

daksi is right , look up kidco's "hearthgate" great product!!

Status
Not open for further replies.