blocking plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flatlander

Dec 19, 2007
Eastern Kansas
New member here...been reading for a couple weeks. Can hardly stand waiting until Thursday when my Hampton I300 is installed. Grew up in a house heated with a wood stove and finally have my chance to return to my roots. My question is, I have an external chimney and am wondering how I will know if they put in a blocking plate? Do some installers figure these in by default or will I need to convince them to do it? Any help appreciated. Also, from what I have seen the Regency/Hampton stoves are well received, any tips would be welcomed!

You should print out the first page or so of our blocking plate page and stop in the shop...before your install. The type of installers who do not install them typically do not have the gear and metal on the truck, so if you want it you should make certain way before they get there.

Hey FL, make sure you are around for your install. The cast surround is easy to dismantle, even for a bean counter like me, make sure you get your manual. The top piece is last to install, first to come off. Maybe ask them not to drop that in, leave off so you can take a peak and make sure liner, block off, and all looks shipshape. Also inquire if installer intends on any demo (ex. knocking out fireblock for liner). Kaowool fireproof insulation above plate got my vote.

Post some pics !

I would tell them to do it and be there while they install to make sure it is done.

I appreciate all the advice. I will be there for the install, so I will ask plenty of questions. I do that real well... ;-)

I'll try to post some pics after the install.

Just spoke to the installer and they indicated they seal them at both the top and bottom. Keep cold air out and warm air in. He also mentioned that they use insulation as well as a top plate.

Just so he doesn't mean that they use insulation as a substitute for a block off plate. Some installers will just cram insulation (some even use fiberglass insulation) in the damper opening, rather than installing a metal block off plate with high temp insulation above.

But he did not mention a bottom plate. Sealing the bottom can be interpreted as shoving insulation in around the flue and calling it a day.

Watch them and learn... being able to pull out your stove and clean and inspect it is a very important part of owning a stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.