Blocking plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael F

Aug 27, 2013
NJ
I have an Osburn 2200 insert and I need to insulate the damper opening, as I am losing a lot of precious heat. I am planning on using Roxul insulation and a steel plate to cover the area over the stove. Looking at it some more, I am wondering if I should just lay the insulation on top of the stove, as it will cover the gap in the fireplace opening. Will the conductive heat be too much for the insulation? Is this a bad idea and should I stick with the metal plate drilled into the brick to stop the convective heat transfer?

I tend to be a do it right kind of guy. A batt of Roxul laying on the stove top may slow down heat from convecting up the chimney, but it won't stop it. Especially if there are air leaks around the batt. A proper block-off plate with some Roxul packed around the liner will be more effective. For insulating around the stove, contact the manufacturer. Some say yes, some say no. If you can, get their blessing in writing.

I would not lay any insulation on top of the stove for several reasons. You reduce air flow from the stove which would defeat the purpose of having one in the first place. Plus, you may easily overfire the stove without even being able to tell that you do. What you can do is to put Roxul around the insert if you have a fireplace with exterior walls like here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-i2400-wood-insert.102314/page-2#post-1349256

The convective airflow from an insert is internal. There is no external convection unless the surround is not in place. The surround blocks heat from escaping the fireplace cavity. IIRC, Osburn has given its blessing for insulating around their inserts, but I recommend anyone to get this in writing in case there are later issues.

Thank you all for your wonderful responses. I had a feeling laying the insulation on top of the stove was a bad idea. I ended up with an installation similar to the thread Grisu posted. Roxul holds its form better than I thought, and with slight compression it holds nicely above the stove without a sheet metal plate. I will probably just run crossing wires underneath to add a little more stability. I also insulated along the walls of the brick firebox. I think this will make a huge difference this winter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.