Blockoff plate done......Liner instalation is now complete.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
It took forever. I reviewed the instructions on Hearthwiki section and installed my liner this morning. only cut my hands about three hundred times. The kaowool is super dense and nobody warned me about how much it would dull my knife. I keep my knife shaving sharp and you could ride to town on that stupid thing now. I thought it would take 2 hours...so I tacked on an extra hour and hoped to finish by by 2. I was starting at 11:15. At 4pm I was applying caulk(fireplace morter) to my offset adapter. Originally I had hoped to do that then install the ductwork for the downdraft in our new kitchen. I wanted to be finished at 7. AT 1am I went upstairs to take a shower. It's done. got the blockoff plate done, ductowork for the downdraft, wired up an outlet for the downdraft, wine cooler, tied in the 2 outlets across the room that had been severed when I took out the wall in the spring (the christmas tree is on one of those walls so we needed the lights.

Time to share what I learned. The kaowool dulls blades. I'm not sure if it made my skin hurt since I was under the house messing with fiberglass also. A "workmate" type prtable bench makes a great improvised brake to bend the sheet metal along the lines. If you already have the liner installed you might want to mark the liner's position relative to the back wall before you pull the stove away. This makes it easier to get the blockoff plate in and the liner centered properly.

Sounds like a fruitful day. Good idea on using the workmate as a brake.
In a pinch I use a 2x4 or 2x6 and bend on one of the edges.
Sounds like ya got alot accomplished, congrats so far.
Any photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.