Blood everywhere!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
I was cutting up a small hollow oak this morning, when I noticed some drops of blood on the snow. I figured I had cut into a poor little mouse or something. Then I noticed blood on my saw. Then my gloves, my coat sleeves, the front of my overalls..... I realized it must be coming from me! But I couldn't figure out where. It just so happens that old Mrs. Quads was out in the woods with me. I hollered for her to come over. She had a wide-eyed look when she saw me, I had smeared the blood all over my face.

Darn raspberries! I vaguely remember a raspberry vine scraping my face, happens all the time, many times drawing a little blood. Turns out it put a little pinprick on my nose, but did that sucker ever bleed. I had a headache this morning so took a handful of Ibuprofen before I went out. Maybe that thinned my blood enough to make it pour out like it did!

Wow, Enough to scear the Holly crap out of you.

you should have gotten it on video... the Wisconsin chainsaw massacre!

quads, do you have any prickly ash there? Much worse than the berries. Especially if they slap you when your face is already cold.

quads said:
I was cutting up a small hollow oak this morning, when I noticed some drops of blood on the snow. I figured I had cut into a poor little mouse or something. Then I noticed blood on my saw. Then my gloves, my coat sleeves, the front of my overalls..... I realized it must be coming from me! But I couldn't figure out where. It just so happens that old Mrs. Quads was out in the woods with me. I hollered for her to come over. She had a wide-eyed look when she saw me, I had smeared the blood all over my face.

Darn raspberries! I vaguely remember a raspberry vine scraping my face, happens all the time, many times drawing a little blood. Turns out it put a little pinprick on my nose, but did that sucker ever bleed. I had a headache this morning so took a handful of Ibuprofen before I went out. Maybe that thinned my blood enough to make it pour out like it did!

reminds me of when you should have seen the panic on my face the time I went to the shooting range to help a friend fire some old 357 mags. after firing it a few times I felt blood running down the side of my face and I convinced myself I had shot myself. turned out to be some black powder blow back took some skin off my ear. the guy was like "oh that's right I need to get that one fixed"

Reminds me of the National Inquirer, where they try to sell copy with sensational headlines. Instead of: "Here's what the Raspberry bush did to me". it's: "Blood Everywhere!". Ha Ha - just bustin your chops a little bit there, Quads - and glad to hear that bush didn't finish you off (no subliminal political message there, Craig).

Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Blood soaked gloves and rags. I hate those briars.

Ha! Yup, happens all the time, but usually doesn't bleed that much. I can't even see the pinprick on my nose now, in the mirror. Weird. The biggest initial problem was that I didn't know what I had done and where it was to try to sop the blood up and keep it off my new saw!

No prickly ash in our woods Dennis. Just the raspberries and the black-caps (which have even bigger thorns and thicker vines). There are a few plum trees around the area, and some kind of locust with thorns, but none in any of our woods.

I constantly have bruises, cuts, burns, etc. Sometimes my wife asks me about them, and usually I don't know specifically where they came from. Now, if my wife gets a paper cut, you better believe I hear all about it...

If it makes you slow down a little its well worth it. Not saying your comfortable with a saw, but once you get comfortable with anything that is when you get bit.

Quads supposes, the blood is from roses, but quads supposes, erroneously. Donald O'Conner (Cosmo) is rolling over right now. -really sorry for that :blank:

sauer said:
If it makes you slow down a little its well worth it. Not saying your comfortable with a saw, but once you get comfortable with anything that is when you get bit.
In my case it's the raspberries that are comfortable with me....and they bite! HAHA!

quads said:
Ha! Yup, happens all the time, but usually doesn't bleed that much. I can't even see the pinprick on my nose now, in the mirror. Weird. The biggest initial problem was that I didn't know what I had done and where it was to try to sop the blood up and keep it off my new saw!

No prickly ash in our woods Dennis. Just the raspberries and the black-caps (which have even bigger thorns and thicker vines). There are a few plum trees around the area, and some kind of locust with thorns, but none in any of our woods.

Didn't want blood on your new saw? - - - I thought blood was part of initiating a new saw? :) Glad it was just a thorn, Quads, and glad your wife was with you. Stay safe!

quads said:

quads, not only do we have prickly ash but also have lots of thorn apple. Sad part is those thorns have a tendency to want to go right into any tire that is near.

Buckthorn thorn, 4"+ long, jammed almost horizontally into the forearm of a 8 yr. old is kind of messy too.......... :(

Yikes! Glad I don't have any prickly ash, buckthorn, or thorn apple at my place. My bald tires are bad enough, don't need any flat ones. And the raspberries get enough blood out of me.

I guess a little blood is ok on the new saw, especially since it wasn't caused by the saw!

Backwoods Savage said:
quads, do you have any prickly ash there? Much worse than the berries. Especially if they slap you when your face is already cold.

we are surrounded with it savage and usually the only time ya figure out you got dung is when you feel something warm running down your face ;-P

loon

Yeah, seeing your blood can get the heart pumping at times - glad to know you are OK. I has a similar situation one time too, and after that, I started taking one of those small flexible camping mirrors with me, usually I store it in my tool kit. Great for situations like this, and also if you happen to get a fleck of sawdust in the eye....

Them berry thorns get me too, as well as all them other thorns too! Seems when I am walking back to the truck with rounds in hand they spring up out of no where.

One nice thing I like about my new helmet (despite getting made fun of routinely) is the face screen. I smiled the last time I heard a vine whack the screen. I'll never leave home without it again!

The truth is out about why Alaskans live where we do--we're weenies that are afraid of all the nasties that you have in the woods--GIGANTIC 4" kid-attacking tire-slashing THORNS!! skunks and possoms and snakes and prickly thorn and . . . I'll take mad mama moose and a few skeets any day.

Agreed that the gauntlet has been thrown w/the National Inquirer-ish headline on this one--bet it got the hits!

I propose we rise to the inspiration and all work at making our thread titles more engaging. Instead of "Guess what I scrounged", we write "OMG!!!!!!"; "I need help ID'ing this wood . . . " becomes "Mysterious growth infesting southern forests!"; "I got shorted on my cord of spruce" ----> "Chain-saw wielding theives hold innocent civilian hostages!"

snowleopard said:
The truth is out about why Alaskans live where we do--we're weenies that are afraid of all the nasties that you have in the woods--GIGANTIC 4" kid-attacking tire-slashing THORNS!! skunks and possoms and snakes and prickly thorn and . . . I'll take mad mama moose and a few skeets any day.

Agreed that the gauntlet has been thrown w/the National Inquirer-ish headline on this one--bet it got the hits!

I propose we rise to the inspiration and all work at making our thread titles more engaging. Instead of "Guess what I scrounged", we write "OMG!!!!!!"; "I need help ID'ing this wood . . . " becomes "Mysterious growth infesting southern forests!"; "I got shorted on my cord of spruce" ----> "Chain-saw wielding theives hold innocent civilian hostages!"

Uh I don't know . . . saw Devil's Club for the first time while visiting my sister in Portage, Alaska . . . it kind of puts most blackberry and raspberry thorned bushes that I see here in Maine to shame.

Only bleeding incident I had was when I was trimming a large branch with a handsaw in the front yard . . . one minute i was on the step ladder sawing away . . . next minute I was slipping down the rails with blood literally pouring out of my forehead as if someone had turned on a faucet . . . soaked through many paper towels . . . and my wife who is a nurse was trying to be nice when she said, "I think you might need to have that looked at . . . it may not need stitches" . . . even though she knew . . . and I knew -- full well that I would need some stitches.

Best part was after getting stitched up at the ER we went to a local convenience store and bought a couple of sodas . . . kid working the counter had not looked at me when I entered the store or put the sodas on the counter . . . but as he collected the cash and looked up at me to give me the change he spotted this Frankenstein like fresh-scar with a bit o' dried blood and plenty of puffiness around the stitch job and I swear to you turned white right on the spot.

my worst blood experience was;
cutting a board with a dewalt circular saw
someone bumped the board (read wife)
caught my index and middle finger with saw
coarse blade, middle finger caught in the notch between the teeth
and STALLED the saw, stopped dead
blood all over, was afraid to look down
3 stitches fixed it
man was I scared and
really lucky
30 years building this was the closet call I've had
can't even see the scars anymore