Blower #2 burnt out on me. :-(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mnowaczyk

Feeling the Heat
Feb 19, 2009
Delaware
Here is my thread on my old Vermont stove company Shelburne. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ove-company-shelburne-or-buy-a-new-one.32169/

I don't burn all the time, but I burnt a little more than a cord this year and have probably another 2.5 or more ready to burn this year. I just also got another 3 or so cords of locust and a little ash this past week from a locust tree that the power company tool down for me. I did my first splitting of my own wood and loved it splitting a cord of locust in 2 hours. (I am still sore and could barely walk for two days.)

So I have lots of wood to burn and my blower was going fritzy on me. It would not power on until I hit the max on the rheostat but I could then dial it back to min. Recently I have just left it on high, and it shut off at the end of a burn a few days ago. Then it started working again. So I fired up again. Running at about 600+ on the stove face it shut off. Since I usually don't get 600 degrees (max out on my ir therm) I grabbed a box fan in hopes of cooling things off, which definitely seems to be working well, but doesn't get that heat from the back of the stove into the room.

So I guess it is time to find a replacement blower. I have a spare stove and detached blower in the garage. It has a little extra fan just to cool off the motor. I think that it isn't on the same axle either. So I wonder if this blower in the bottom back of the insert just gets too darned hot. Or perhaps it is my rheostat burning out the fans. I initially plugged my box fan into the rheostat and it made a buzz. So I stopped that. Perhaps that is where I went wrong.

I want a new fan that can take more heat. It is probably an easy 600 degrees on that fan. Any suggestions?

I recently bought a welder. So I can probably fabricate the bracket I will need to make it fit.

I would love a quite one too. I am tired of these ones tha sound lien a diesel.

Are you sure the fan gets hot? Usually the fan intakes room temp air and blows it around a convection jacket. The fan itself stays relatively cool. Is the fan rheostat the proper one for the motor?

Your fan should not be getting that hot. Those motors are designed to draw in ambient air only. They won't last long at that temp.

i had a fan burn out it did just like you describe, would cut on, on high on the rheostat and then could dial it down but if you wanted to turn it on from 1/4 to half from the off position It would not cut on.

Tapatalk forum showing me my threads... I just realized in the past 24 hours that one of my fans is still working. I think possibly me rheostat is bad. I've had the fan going for over 16 hour straight now. I've got my fingers crossed it was just the rheostat. I'm plugged directly in now and it is running a little louder and apparently faster than on high with the rheostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.