Blower Fan Control Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bemiller2006

Apr 30, 2008
Central MN
I was wondering if I could get some help or suggestions.

We just installed our Heat N Glo Northstar last week, now I am working on getting the fan control connected.

The standard included controls (two-way switch and rheostat) need to be installed in a two gang box.

I would like to combine this into one control. I have an existing box with three switches, two lights and one for the future fireplace control. If I can get away with it I'd rather not cut a new box into the wall for the standard issue controls.

I was thinking a ceiling fan/light switch combo would work.

Has anyone replaced the standard option with a single control?

What switch have you used?

Thanks,
Bruce

Check the fan dimmer switch from the manufacturer's rating and the ceiling fan switch. I think they are rated to 600watts? I could be way off but check it out. I do know that you want a good (expensive) one because motors are supposed to start at full power and then reduced. If this is not done your insert fan will be heading south soon! Hopefully it sets you on the right path. This and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee :coolsmirk:

I suspect they are both simple shaded-pole motor controllers, but can't say that for sure. It wouldn't hurt to call their tech support to see if they have a recommendation. If they say go for it, be sure you have a controller that is adequate for the load.

FWIW, I used a Broan bath fan control on our old insert fan several years ago and it worked well. I knew the transaxial fan had a shaded pole motor and that was what the controller was for. If you don't mind spending the money on the ceiling fan combo, it might be worth a test. If you do try it, test it at several speeds while listening closely to the motor. Does it sound exactly the same as when the stock controller is used? Does the motor hum, chatter or stall? If it does, stop there. If it seems alright, let it run on medium speed for 15 minutes and then check the fan motor and the controller to see if it is overheating. If all sounds and feels normal, it probably is fine. Proceed at your own risk.

Thanks everyone.

I did connect the fan control switch, and it seems that the fan control will only run the blower at @75% vs. when the fireplace is heated up and the snap switch closes the fan will run a lot faster, but only at the high speed.

I think I'll need to just install the standard issue controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.