Blower Fan for Dutchwest Catalytic stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jayguy

Nov 20, 2008
Southeastern MA.
I'm hoping someone here has more information that the local dealers I've been talking to about a fan for a Dutchwest Catalytic stove (2460 or 2461).

I picked up this 4 year old stove used and in good shape and I'm happy with it, but would like to help get heat around rest of the house more efficiently. I've asked local dealers about the fan and they don't seem to know much about it.

One says you need a rear heat shield to mount it, another says you don't (my research indicates you don't). The parts manual for the stove also lists an fan thermostat and a fan reostat. Are these accessories for the fan or replacement parts for what comes with the fan? Most of the dealers (4 I've asked) aren't sure, but one says that if you get the fan, you need to also get the thermostat because the fan does not come with an electrical cord, you have to get the Thermostat, which comes with a cord, in addition to the fan. Fan cost is being quoted at around $190 and thermostat at around $75.

As for the reostat, this apparently allows you do control the fan speed, although the fan is listed as a Dual-speed fan.
I can't seem to find one (locally anyway) that has one in stock to look at, but the dealers don't seem to know much about them to begin with.

If anyone can help enlighten me as to whether I NEED to get a thermostat in addition to the fan, and how well the fan will improve the movement of hot air in the house (in a general sense) that would be great.

Thanks!

i too would like to know more about the fan kits for a Dutchwest non-cat stove.

i am wanting to buy one and would like to see pictures of this fan on the stove.

Jayguy-
I used to burn a dutchwest cat and I had the blower. It does come with a power cord and is manual two speed control. You do not need the rear heatsheild to attach it. Remove exsiting cover plate on rear of stove and bolt on. It does push out the heat, but with extended use cools stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.