Blower Fan for Old Schrader

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gaitski

Nov 11, 2011
Moscow, ID
Hey all, I've got an old Schrader double door stove with a hookup in the back for a blower. The hookup just connects to 6 tubes that run over the firebox, so any air that blows through the system is heated and pushed out. I inherited the stove with the house, and the previous owner had a McGuyvered small blower fan in a box hooked up to the back which recently went out.

My question is, does anyone know of a supplier for the fan that was intended to go with these stoves? I'd hate to spend $100 on a new motor if there was a better fix out there. Thanks!

It's somewhat separated from the rest of the stove, so yes I think it would be cooler. The house that it's in is actually a rental that I manage, otherwise I'd take and post some pictures.

well, my thoughts are that, as long as it's separated from major heat exposure, a small form factor cooling fan from an old rack mount computer server or something like it could work great. Main problem there is coming up with the 12V supply (think: transformer you don't need anymore, junk bin job), though some are 120V, so try to find a used one at an electronics surplus style joint.

Check ebay for squirrel cage blowers. Try to find something reasonable.... For this application, IMO, it should be a larger diameter lower RPM job to reduce the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.