Blower Fan making horrible noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cards66

May 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
I have a Buck 28000. I know it is ancient but it was free. The fan the other night started squealing. I took the fan cover off last night and shot some WD-40 in it in hopes that would resolve the problem. It helped a little but the fan seems to almost be stuck and once it starts spinning good it is making a horrible noise. ANyone have any ideas on what it might be. i need to really pull it out this weekend and take a good luck. Just looking for suggestions before I do.

Don't use WD40 on a blower motor. Take the blower assembly out, clean it well and check it on the bench. This could be as simple as the fan squirrel cage slipping on the shaft or it may be that the blower motor needs oiling in the motor oil ports. Use 3in1 oil for this, not too much, about 15 to 20 drops should do fine.

WD-40 is super flammable, ask me how I know! Your blower motor has probably used up the brushes or if it is "brush less" the tolerances are to big, worn out. The shroud could be it but you could see the wear marks. It will be shiny where it is rubbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.