Blower, fan or both? Question from a new guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pro5oh

Aug 19, 2008
downeast Maine
Hello all, love educating myself on this forum. The question I have is what works better on an englander 30-nc the thermofan mounted on the rear, or a ceiling fan in he same room to circulate air? Any help appreciated, Thanks.

Ceiling fans are well appreciated around here for moving heat around...guess it depends on what your floor plan and sq ft-age is.

I have an insert with a fan. I run the insert fan most always on high and prefer a pedestal fan to direct the heat sideways towards other rooms. The ceiling fan has a tendency to just swirl the heat in an up & down direction (or down & up, depending on what mode its in) without EFFECTIVELY moving it to location outside that room. :cheese:

if your stove comes with the optional blower, it is a must have in my opinion

All of the above.

I would say if your house gets warm quickly than you probably only need a ceiling fan. The advantage and it is a big one of having a blower is it will heat the surrounding area much, much quicker. Some stoves really need one, some don't depending on the area being heated. My father's cabin is quite small and we bought the big Englander for a steal. He will never need a blower becasue in about 1 hour he is opening windows.

The ceiling fan will keep that room from getting too stuffy, circulating more air but not really pushing too much heat into other locations (for that you might need fans on the floor). The blower is only 160 dollars for the 30NC so I would say if you the extra cash go for it, it will help you out on those really cold nights and days plus heat the house a lot quicker (am I repeating myself again :lol: )

My place is only 1400sqft, with an open kitchen/living room. I think I'll buy the blower for thr 30-nc based on what I see here. Sounds like the 30-nc might be to big. You guys are great, Thanks.

You will probably be better served with the ENGLANDER 13-NCG rated at 1800sq.ft. or the 13-NCH at 1500 sq.ft. unless you have a drafty/non or poorly insulated house, then the higher rated stove would probably be better.

Put it this way, if you are planning on your primary heat source to be the woodstove, by the bigger one. If its just supplementary, then you can save some $$ and go with the smaller one. Just remember that you will not achieve the same burn times with the samller one.

Status
Not open for further replies.