Blower motor distance from HX coil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MNBobcat

Sep 6, 2009
Minnesota
Hi Guys,

I have a 3-core, 22" x 25" water-to-air heat exchanger coil which I'm using to build a heater for a pole building.

The case I made is large enough that I can mount the squirrel cage blower inside of the case with a filter on the back to filter in-coming air. However, this would result in the blower being about 5 inches away from the coil. Mounted that close, I'm concerned that only the center of the coil might be used.

Just wondering how critical the distance is between the heat exchanger coil and the blower motor for best efficiency?

Just an idea, but I bet you could fabricate, or buy, and place some kind of baffle in that 5 inch space that would direct the air to where you want it to go. A return air register cover might work if the opening on the squirrel cage's opening is big enough. You'd have to bend the baffles. How big is the opening on the squirrel cage blower?

I'm also thinking of building one of these. I'm going to buy a cheap box fan for it. Should be plenty of air movement. If you blow to much air threw it may feal like cool air.

The blower on my oil furnace is probably 3 1/2 to 4 feet away from the W/AX in the plenum. To get the flow you desire baffles as dogwood suggested or louvre's to direct the air for wider coverage would probably be a good idea. There is going to be a lot of turbulence in there but I think you are right that it will be concentrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.