Blower motor overheating, Harman TLC2000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke7237

Dec 9, 2005
This is my second year with a Harman TLC2000 burning nut coal. I've got very few issues with this stove, but then again I have no experience with other coal stoves so I don't know if things should be better. Suffice to say I'm warm and it almost never goes out unless I want it to.

Finally got my dealerto install the blower motor before this season. It's only just started getting really cold, so the stove's been off or loafing a lot, with the blower off or very low (it's continuously adjustable with a factory-provided "dimmer" box). Yesterday we noticed a growing odor of what I'm familiar with as "burning enamel" .. the smell of overheating enamel covering on the wire in the motor's armature. The stove wasn't burning particularly hot at that time, but the fan was on about 1/2 speed. I'm guessing the blower was overheating, 1/2 speed is probably not efficient (or what it was designed for) and combined with the running stove it got near enamel temp. I turned up the fan to full speed and the smell went away

Happened again later that day with blower at full speed but stove going pretty hot.

I'm pretty certain that the smell is "enamel" .. I've smelled it many times before, and no such smell ever came out of the stove last season when there was no blower motor. Anyone else experience such a situation? Do they make "high-temp" motors for this application?

You should be able to run the blower all day long at half-speed. There shouldn't be a need for a high-temperature motor, usually the fan is sucking in ambient room temp air then blowing it through a jacket or plenum where it is heated. Could just be a bad motor. Is this a stock item and controller? If yes, I would get a replacement under warranty.

It is a stock motor and blower, as far as I know. My Harman dealer brought it out and installed it

Status
Not open for further replies.