blower motor won't quit running on pf100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my third winter with Harman's PF100 setup. It's starting to do something it did last winter that I fixed by replacing the fan/limit control and wondering if I have to do it again. The only way I can shut the blower motor off without shutting down the entire furnace is to smack the fan/limit control, or if I have the cover off, just barely touch the dial turning it clock wise...clicks right off. Is there a lubricant one can put in there behind that dial? I would imagine the whole system has to be shut down to to do that as well.

Other things I've noticed - automatic igniter has failed - are they hard to replace?

When I turn dials to "off" to shut down stove - apparently it doesn't work - can still hear auger running 20 minutes later with flame still going - only way I can shut down is to flip the switch underneath along the floor or pull the plug.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.

outdoorsgriz said:
This is my third winter with Harman's PF100 setup. It's starting to do something it did last winter that I fixed by replacing the fan/limit control and wondering if I have to do it again. The only way I can shut the blower motor off without shutting down the entire furnace is to smack the fan/limit control, or if I have the cover off, just barely touch the dial turning it clock wise...clicks right off. Is there a lubricant one can put in there behind that dial? I would imagine the whole system has to be shut down to to do that as well.

Other things I've noticed - automatic igniter has failed - are they hard to replace?

When I turn dials to "off" to shut down stove - apparently it doesn't work - can still hear auger running 20 minutes later with flame still going - only way I can shut down is to flip the switch underneath along the floor or pull the plug.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.

sounds like you know what the issue is, just need reinforcement......I agree, most likely the fan limit switch....the ignitor....no biggie, pretty easy to replace too....

outdoorsgriz said:

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks.

Page 19 of the PF100 Install and Operating manual says there is an adjustment to the fan/HI limit control and gives the procedure. They say this adjustment works best for the PF100. I'd check that adjustment first. It may need just a tweak if you can make it switch by hitting it. Manually turning the dial in it may have torqued its coil spring and slightly upset the HI LOW limit adjustments. Page 19 also states the Fan/HI limit control should be physically located 11 inches above the discharge opening of the furnace (11 inches above where your hot air duct is connected) For Harmon's Fan/HI limit adjustments to work it should probably be located at 11 inches.

The igniter is fairly easy to replace:
TURN OFF THE POWER TO THE PF100
Remove the small cover on the burn pot.
Remove the two small screws above the cover. The igniter and mounting bracket should fall down.
Remove the lower cover under the pellet hopper and cut the wire zip ties from the yellow and grey wires going into the Feeder weldment.
Pull the igniter and its wires out of the burn pot until the wire connectors are accessible.
Disconnect the igniter wires and remove the igniter assembly. Be sure to note how the assemble sits in the burn pot; it will also fit reversed on the screw holes.
VERY GENTLY bend the igniter bracket tabs and remove the plate holding the igniter. Note witch way the plate sits on the bracket.
Install the new igniter in the mounting bracket and reverse the process.

When I turn the dials to off to shut my PF100 down my auger keeps driving for a while but it does shut down after an hour or so. Try giving yours more time to go thru its shut down cycle. If it doesn't shut down gradually unburned pellets in the burn pot will smolder and give off lots of smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.