Blower Motor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyd

Jun 15, 2009
Hi everyone,

Been awhile since I've had to post anything but hoping someone out there has some experience with furnace blower motors ... otherwise will need to get to an HVAC forum I guess.

Recently had our Electric FA furnace serviced - as a an aside I hate this thing but it's used to heat while not at the property otherwise wood all the way baby !!!

Technician indicated the direct drive motor was showing signs of failing - the unit is about 8 years old. He went ahead and replaced the unit. It's definitely a lot quieter but upon further inspection I see the OEM unit is slightly larger than the replacement - should I be concerned that it's undersized ?

Orginal specs show .85 HP / 10.7 AMP
New specs show 1/2 to 1/6 / 7.3 AMP Orig.JPG new.JPG

Thanks
-mike

Technician indicated the direct drive motor was showing signs of failing - the unit is about 8 years old. He went ahead and replaced the unit. It's definitely a lot quieter but upon further inspection I see the OEM unit is slightly larger than the replacement - should I be concerned that it's undersized ?

Orginal specs show .85 HP / 10.7 AMP
New specs show 1/2 to 1/6 / 7.3 AMP

I'm thinking a good way to know would be to get a cheap $20 clamp-on ammeter from Harbor Freight (for instance), or just borrow one, and see what the motor is actually drawing. If it's comfortably below the 7.3 ampere rating you're good to go. Just be careful if you go with a cheapo meter, they're generally pretty accurate but they can't stand up to much in the way of rough service.

He screwed you, Have him come back and put the correct one in. Those rescue motors don't have the best track record either. They are perfect when you need a motor now, But at this time of year you had time to wait for a proper motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.