Q&A Blower on a wood fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a regular wood burning fireplace(Martin) and they sell a blower that goes under the fireplace and blows out hot air from above the fireplace, it is about $200. (The room its in is 20x15 and open to a dining room and foyer)I'm wondering if anyone thinks this is worth it, I want to try and get more heat from my fireplace, I looked into gas inserts and like those but I cant afford it right now and don't think I want vent-free logs because of the possibility of a gas smell. Someone please help. Thanks in advance.

Answer:

In my experience, the blowers for prefab fireplaces such as your do not make a huge difference in the heat released....sure, you'll get a bit more, but I don't think you'll consider it $200. worth.

Maybe you should save for an insert or another solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.