Blower....opinions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
Thought I would shake the limbs on this tree.............When I bought my stove last year I got a nice blower that mounts on the bottom of the stove and has a variable speed control.

My opinion is.............it is the absolute icing on the cake for my stove. It will run you out of my 1850 sq.ft. house (2 story).

The heat last winter just from my wood stove and blower on low was a constant 78 degrees F. Yes I know thats warm, but we just loved this stove and I actually had it dampered lots of times and the heat was steady. One night it got to 81 degrees and my wife finally said.........open the doors !

My point is this blower is what made the heater work so well. Even though when the blower was off it still worked very well and kept the house toasty warm, the blower just seems to circulate heat much more evenly throughout the entire house.

I told the nice lady I bought my stove from that I was considering ordering another blower for mine as a back up just in case mine ever went out (don't think it will because it's made very well).

Opinions ? Thanks.

Robbie.

I wouldn't waste money on an extra blower just in case it broke. Is there any kind of warranty? If something does happen to the blower you can use a ordinary box fan to circulate the heat til the blower is fixed.

Generally the blowers are pretty simple inside, and anything that went wrong would be very easy for anyone with even a glancing knowledge of wiring to fix. Also, many of the motor units are generic and you cold find a suitable replacement from Grainger or another industrial supply shop.

I've been having a tendency to acquire extras of things lately. It's turning out to be mostly a waste of space and money.

Thanks everyone, makes sense. My blower is a simple double turbin type and is easy to maintain. I just thought since I rely so much on the blower to circulate hot air it would be good to get a spare (though pretty expensive).

Todd is right, the regular fan would work just fine to circulate.......LOL............sometimes for me the simplest solutions are the hardest for me to see.

Robbie

I have found that a typcial celing fan circulates just as well as blowers, blowers belong on inserts, where there is a space that is inclosed and has a place for heat exchange. On a free standing stove, all the heat in in the room anyway, you just need a simple quite way to move the air around. Im a big fan (pardon the pun) of celing fans, on reverse, on low. All winter long.

I'll second the ceiling fans. I upgraded several (existing) and installed a couple new ones last year.
Gotta keep that air moving:)

Status
Not open for further replies.