Blower specs - Eko Boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medman

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Does anyone know offhand the CFM rating for the blower installed on EKO boilers? I want to remove the blower from the front of the boiler and install one elsewhere in-line with a duct, drawing in outside air and supplying it to the port on the front of the boiler.

I can adapt the blower that is there now, but I would like to get a replacement unit as well that can be installed remotely.

I have some specs: 120V, 0.77A, 2300 RPM. I need CFM rating to source a similar unit.

I want to add a better damper to the airflow - when my boiler idles, smoke escapes from the blower vent into the shop, especially during strong winds. The 'flap' damper on the front panel of the boiler is not air tight when closed, and I want to install one that is so that I don't get the smoke puffing into the room. I won't be drawing in cold air from outside, just from further away in the room.

Reactions: Tennman
I would suggest you take a look at your stack draft or look for something that is causing negative pressure in the house like exhaust fans, etc.

I want to add a better damper to the airflow - when my boiler idles, smoke escapes from the blower vent into the shop, especially during strong winds. The 'flap' damper on the front panel of the boiler is not air tight when closed, and I want to install one that is so that I don't get the smoke puffing into the room. I won't be drawing in cold air from outside, just from further away in the room.

I had a similar thought. I'd like to remote mount my fan also to eliminate the noise factor. Or maybe find one of the whisper quiet bath fans that would move the right amount of air. I can close a door on the boiler but I loose all the jacket loss heat into the shop.

I had started to mount my fan outside, but still pull "conditioned air" from inside. The piping and fittings started to get a little crazy looking. I'm still looking for that fan spec to shop a quieter fan assembly.

Somewhere I have business cards from some of the folks over at the EKO factory, that I met at one of the renewable shows. I'll get back on this quest tomorrow.

Fred, I know the issue is stack draft, but there is little I can do about it here. I live at the bottom of a hill, next to a lake, and surrounded by large trees - all of the conditions that cause downdraft on my stack. For my house woodstove I installed a vacu-stack venturi cap which has reduced the downdraft problem there. I haven't installed one yet on the boiler stack but I plan to get one. This is the issue; once the fan shuts off during idle, the occasional downdraft or puffing inside the woodbox pushes smoke out of the front of the fan. I am hoping an airtight damper between fan and front of boiler will reduce this.

Bob, thanks for the reply. Keep me posted on what you can find on the fan. I may try to round up an anemometer to test it if I can't get details elsewhere.

Back when I first got the EKO I didn't have storage and I experimented with restricting the air when the unit was Idling. If I remember correctly I placed either 10 or 15 cents worth of nickels on the little air flap to add more closing pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.