Blower - temp sensor problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattyrayb

Aug 12, 2013
MD
I have an Enviro Kodiak 1700 that came with a blower.
I hooked the blower up and it didn't work. I was trying to narrow down the cause by bypassing both the fan control and temp sensor (fan worked; fan ok), hooked to fan control and bypassed sensor (fan worked; control ok), then hooked to sensor and bypassed the control (fan DIDN'T work; sensor is culprit).
So I assumed it was the sensor, bought another and it still doesn't work.

This got me thinking:
what's the purpose of the sensor?
Does it have to get to a certain temp before it turns on?
Is there a danger in not using the sensor and just bypassing it?

FWIW, the wiring schematics were followed.

I have an Enviro Kodiak 1700 that came with a blower.
I hooked the blower up and it didn't work. I was trying to narrow down the cause by bypassing both the fan control and temp sensor (fan worked; fan ok), hooked to fan control and bypassed sensor (fan worked; control ok), then hooked to sensor and bypassed the control (fan DIDN'T work; sensor is culprit).
So I assumed it was the sensor, bought another and it still doesn't work.

This got me thinking:
what's the purpose of the sensor?
Does it have to get to a certain temp before it turns on?
Is there a danger in not using the sensor and just bypassing it?

FWIW, the wiring schematics were followed.

The sensor is a thermodisk. It doesn't close until the firebox reaches a certain temperature. That way the blower will not move cold air. Go to a quiet location & try holding a match to the sensor. You should hear a very small "tink" or Click. That will tell you if it has closed. Many of these thermo disks take 20 minutes to a half hour before they actuate the first time. That may be your case.

or just bypass the sensor and turn the blower on then you want it... i did.

The sensor is usually placed so that the blower doesn't come on until the mass of the stove body is warmed up. This is good because it allows the fire to come up to full temp before starting to cool down the stove with the blower. On our stove this is typically at least 30-40 minutes when starting up cold. However, once the mass of the stove has warmed up the blower will stay on. Even if it shuts down with an overnight burn it will come on quickly after the morning reload. One thing to make sure of is that the snap disk is in firm contact with the stove body. A little air gap will cause a longer delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.