Blower Thermostat? Cleaning Flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamurph5

Sep 23, 2008
Upstate NY
Just got a new Olympic, love it. The only problem is that the lower doesn't get going for about an hour, even if I get the heat up to 400-450 degrees. Is there an adjustable thermostat or might mine be blocked?

Also, can I get a brush past the baffle to clean the flue from inside the house?

an hour might be alittle long but I guess it just depends on how fast you get the stove up to temp. From a cold start I would say mine takes all of 30minutes. But then the stove can cool down to 200 and the blower still works. You might want to just take a look at the location of the thermostat. I belive that it is underneith the stove when the air comes out? Check out your book on it.

As far as cleaning from the inside of the stove, if you open up your bypass damper (top) you will see that there is a straight shot up into the flue. I have never tried to do it that way but I guess you could. I jsut take the pipe apart and scrup it out if needed.

The snapdisc is not touching the stove, get in there when it is cool and bend it a little to make solid contact. It will work like a charm. If that is not it you may need a new one.

Lamurph5 said:
Just got a new Olympic, love it. The only problem is that the lower doesn't get going for about an hour, even if I get the heat up to 400-450 degrees. Is there an adjustable thermostat or might mine be blocked?

Also, can I get a brush past the baffle to clean the flue from inside the house?

Not surprised-mine doesn`t kick on till the stove top temps get to 475. Usually that takes about 30 minutes. Nice dry small splits is the key to get it going quicker.

On my insert I have to remove the secondary burn tubes and the baffle before cleaning-either from the top or the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.