Blower use vs burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jetmech

Dec 8, 2007
Dillsburg PA
Just wondering if using the blower on my T5 has any effect on burn time of stove... i have only used it to cool firebox when gets really hot and have not done any experiments yet to see if the 2 are related... with stove at 600 degrees running blower will def cool it down over 100 deg,,, any thoughts out there, does it decrease burn time of stove when cooled by running blower??

Yes, it definately cools down the stove much faster. I have no choice but to use it in the really cold months. In the warmer months, I keep it off and run the stove nice and hot and it does a good job heating the house. I think your estimate of a 100 degrees cooler is about right.

yea no doubt it cools the box but i was wondering if it reduces length of time of total burn,,, im gonna try it and see what happens

If everything else remained the same using the blower should, in theory, lengthen the burn time. A hotter stove (hotter fire) should burn up the up the wood faster while a cooler stove (cooler fire) should burn up the wood fuel slower.
However, since using the blower cools the outside of the fire box there would be a tendency to run the fire hotter (inside) while using the blower to dissipate the extra heat (outside) and your actually burn times would be shorter.

It would be a difficult experiment to perform and control and get reliable, meaningful results.

In line with carbon stated, IMHO, as long as the air fed to the stove is constant, fan on/off should make no difference in the fuel consumption.

You are measuring the outer stove body temp, which with the fan running, you are removing more heat from the stove exterior with the fan. If the primary air control is kept as a constant, the rate of burn should be pretty much the same.

Not sure if this is a fair comparison. Do you get less gas mileage by turning your vehical's interior heater fan higher when driving? I think not.

Carbon_Liberator said:
If everything else remained the same using the blower should, in theory, lengthen the burn time. A hotter stove (hotter fire) should burn up the up the wood faster while a cooler stove (cooler fire) should burn up the wood fuel slower.
However, since using the blower cools the outside of the fire box there would be a tendency to run the fire hotter (inside) while using the blower to dissipate the extra heat (outside) and your actually burn times would be shorter.

It would be a difficult experiment to perform and control and get reliable, meaningful results.

I think you are very close to the truth.

How can blowing air over the outside of the stove make the fire burn more?
Now that said I do have a bi-metal t-stat that I guess could be affected by the fans..but it is enclosed at the back of the stove,nowhere near the air flow but maybe could be affected still by the steel being cooled off some by the fans..but I even doubt that.

What I do know to be true is if it's real cold out and I open my slider to the deck the cold air coming in will open my t-stat.
The stove is like 3ft from that slider.
Someone in a earlier thread wondered what a OAK would do to theses BKK's when hooked up..I wonder that too now.

Yes, on a BK it will shorten burn times. The cooler the stove the more the thermostatic draft control opens. It will at least shorten my burn times by 2 hours. On the T-5 I think it will allow the EBT mechanism to allow more air to maintain the stove temp for its designed cleaner burn.

As for an OAK on the BK, in colder temps it does effect the stat operation. This to me works as a primitive outdoor air reset ratio.
The colder it gets the more heat it needs to put out to keep up with heat loss in the home. It works well for my situation.

north of 60 said:
Yes, on a BK it will shorten burn times. The cooler the stove the more the thermostatic draft control opens. It will at least shorten my burn times by 2 hours. On the T-5 I think it will allow the EBT mechanism to allow more air to maintain the stove temp for its designed cleaner burn.

As for an OAK on the BK, in colder temps it does effect the stat operation. This to me works as a primitive outdoor air reset ratio.
The colder it gets the more heat it needs to put out to keep up with heat loss in the home. It works well for my situation.

Thanks for the info..I was really wondering about that.
IMO the t-stat is not sensitive enough sucking warmer indoor air...I might have to hook one up this summer to try it. But with my brick it could be a challenge.
95% of the time when my stove is cruising the closed position on the dial is around 2.
I'm wondering if yours is also with the oak?

When it gets down to -20c and colder #2 setting is letting it run a pretty good constant flame. 1.5 setting seems to be the closing of the flapper at this time.

north of 60 said:
When it gets down to -20c and colder #2 setting is letting it run a pretty good constant flame. 1.5 setting seems to be the closing of the flapper at this time.

Ok..I could not get my mind around it..didn't know if the closing position would be at a higher or lower t-sat setting.
But lower makes sense.
How does the oak hook to the rectangle box at the bottom behind the stove?
I guess I could dig the manual out.
I wonder if I could just run some flex to my slider and make a plywood piece to fit in the gap with the door open some.
Just to try it?

Status
Not open for further replies.