blowers.... why are there none detached from the unit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

par0thead151

Feeling the Heat
Jul 26, 2009
south eastern wisconsin
I have a enviro venice 1700 insert.
it has a blower that is somewhat loud. not obnoxious or anything ,but it does get annoying if you want complete silence after work.
I am wondering why manufacturers have not given the option to have a blower somewhere else and have the airflow piped over to the stove?
this way the fan noise can be in the basement or another room, and the stove can be enjoyed in relative silence.

Because enough people groan about a little electric cord running to the blower, think about a piece of ducting running to it. ;-)

BrotherBart said:
Because enough people groan about a little electric cord running to the blower, think about a piece of ducting running to it. ;-)

good point.
however is there any reason i should not try to duct my own blower to the insert?
im sure there are fans that are much quieter as well, considering size is not an issue if it is outside of the insert, and it does not have to take the heat as well...

No reason at all. It is cold air. Nothing is gonna catch fire.

my dad has a blower behind his insert in the other room. it was origionaly in the lower front of the stove. he had it installed this way several years ago to reduce the noise in the room. the blower is mounted on a stand and a piece of the pipe section is cloth sewn into a tube to isolate vibration from the blower. works like a charm. pete

I love this site. Thanks for posting this before I started building my new hearth. If this works out, I'll try feeding the duct from the far ends of the house that I have a harder time heating with the stove.

I've been trying to build one myself since I put in the hearth mount stove. I wanted small computer fans piped to 2" black pipe then reduced to 1 1/2" vertical in the back of the hearth with small holes drilled in to create a breeze. I don't want too much airflow, just enough to push the heat out from under the block off plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.